The Masdar Institute Practicing Professionals Program gives employed individuals the opportunity to continue their pursuit of excellence by enrolling in any of its Master of Science and/or Doctor of Philosophy programs on a part-time basis. These degree programs provide the flexibility and technical expertise required for working professionals to compete in the local and global marketplace.
The Master of Science degree requires completion of eight MSc-level courses with 48 credit hours, of which 24 credits are of coursework and 24 are research.
The PhD degree requires completion of eight doctorate-level courses with 60 credit hours required for graduation – 24 credits being of course work and 36 are research.
Unlike regular graduate students, practicing professionals may:
- Use an industry-based engineering project as the basis for their research thesis;
- Include a mentor from their company as a member of their thesis committee; and
- Be required to take only 1-2 courses per semester.
Practicing Professionals can base their MSc thesis on an industrial project. The project would optimally be drawn from the student’s current work area, but could also be in a related area that the company is interested in exploring further.
The student will be required to prepare a written thesis and give a formal oral presentation on his/her thesis project as a requirement for graduation.
MSc Practicing Professional students pay tuition of AED 146,000, which includes AED 96,000 for course credits and AED 50,000 for research credits.
PhD Practicing Professional students pay tuition of AED 171,000, including AED 96,000 for course credits and AED 75,000 for research credits.
Prospective students applying for admissions as Practicing Professionals must meet the same admissions requirements as any other student.
- A relevant Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Science or Engineering from a recognized and accredited university
- A minimum CGPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 point scale) or equivalent for MSc applicants and 3.2 or equivalent for PhD applicants
- Minimum TOEFL score of 91 (IBT) or an academic IELTS score of 6.5
- A competitive GRE score
- Three recommendation letters
- Statement of Objectives
- Research proposal (for PhD applicants)
Additionally, in their Statement of Objectives practicing professional applicants must indicate:
- Their intent to study part-time;
- The name of their employer or company/industry; and
- The program to which they are applying.