Summary of duties: Masdar Institute of Science and Technology is looking for talented and motivated researchers to join the Masdar Institute Solar Platform (MISP) team in Abu Dhabi in UAE. Several Postdoctoral Researcher and Research Engineers positions will be available from now to mid-2017. The work will consist of designing, building, monitoring, operating and maintaining concentrated solar power (CSP) demonstration plants as part of the Masdar Institute Solar Platform expansion. Other duties include:
- Supervise design, construction, and commissioning of the CSP demonstration plant
- Supervise and manage contractors on site
- Responsible for day-to-day operation at site and coordinate activities and run schedules with Masdar Institute research team
- Operate and run plant according to prescribed routines
- Report to main office on a daily basis tasks performed at the installation (operations routines, maintenance performed, visits to site etc.)
- Record, analyze, and document plant performance
- Report any abnormal or irregular conditions that develop during the progress of the work and take corrective measures within the scope of operating instructions.
- Effectively communicate information to supervision and fellow plant personnel, relative to the condition of the plant equipment and performance, and provide suggestions for plant improvements
- Read logs, standing orders, procedures or other information, in order to remain current and informed of normal and abnormal situations
- In the event of loss of telemetering, computed data, network communications, etc., must coordinate or troubleshoot all events to insure performance of duties
- Utilize excel spreadsheets and available software to perform real time analysis evaluations to help maximize unit profitability and performance
- Coordinate activity in the event of an emergency
- Maintenance of sensors and field instrumentation
- Coordinate general maintenance of the plant with industrial partner or contractors
- Prepare for site visits by industrial partner and potential customers
The ideal candidates should possess the following:
- For the research engineer, a Master’s degree in engineering (mechanical Engineer or energy-related studies) is required.
- For the postdoctoral researcher a PhD degree in engineering (mechanical Engineer or energy-related studies) is required.
- Experience working with concentrated solar power facilities (e.g. solar field, solar receiver, thermal oil-loop, pumps, etc.) is a plus.
- Experience working with control systems (e.g., SIEMENS or similar).
- Not afraid of performing actual work required on the infrastructure and system.
- Fluent in English, written and spoken.
- Willing to relocate to Abu Dhabi.
Additionally, the candidates should demonstrate the following characteristics:
- Attention to detail: Accomplishing tasks through concern for all areas involved; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks.
- Decision-making: Weighing alternatives and making decisions that reflect the facts of the situation. Basing decisions on logical assumptions that take into consideration established operating procedures and safety guidelines.
- Analysis/Problem Solving: Identifying problems, considering alternative solutions and taking the necessary steps to solve the problems.
- Innovation/Continuous Improvement: Initiating creative solutions to operating situations; adjust varying environments and responsibilities.
- Adaptability to local environment and team spirit
Fixed term: Proposed contract duration is four years (renewed yearly), starting between June and September 2017 after completion of visa process.
Package: Attractive salary and benefits, including Health insurance, paid vacation, flight ticket, laptop, relocation allowance, end of services benefits.
The candidates should send their CV by email to Dr. Nicolas Calvet. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a first interview.
Dr. Nicolas Calvet
Masdar Institute Solar Platform Chair
Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
Masdar Institute of Science and Technology
Office: +971 2 810 9413