Summary of duties:
The Analytical Microcopy Instructor position is very hands-on and will give the qualified applicant many opportunities to pass on his or her experience gained through the use of analytical attachments for Scanning Electron Microscopes (SEM) and Transmission Electron Microscopes (TEM) microscopes. Key activities for this position will include teaching practical classes on the operation and application of analytical techniques associated with electron microscopes. This valuable staff member will interact with faculty and students as an in-house consultant to facilitate research and help users obtain the best possible result from our lab.
The Analytical Microscopy Instructor will be the primary contact for users of several advanced analytical tools such as WDS, EDS, FIB/SEM, EFTEM, EELS and STEM, in addition to TEM using both Tecnai and Cs corrected Titan.
The ideal candidate should fully engaged with the teaching and practice of TEM and analytical microscopy. They will possess wide-ranging skills to assist users dealing with different topics tackled at the Masdar Institute campus of the Khalifa University of Science and Technology. The selection committee will give significant weight to any hands-on experience the candidate has gained during his/her previous research or lab career. The ability to communicate and demonstrate understanding of the details of each technique will be most important for success in this position.
- Provide hands-on instruction on operation of WDS, EDS, FIB/SEM, STEM, EFTEM and EELS.
- Prepare materials and examples for training sessions, record and track training; arrange advanced training sessions from equipment suppliers.
- Provide research support through consultation with users on equipment use, set-up and capabilities.
- Maintain operational availability of TEMs and analytical equipment.
- Track and resolve system maintenance issues, communicate tool availability, anticipate requirements for spare parts, consumables, etc.
- Advise and assist users with sample preparation and maintain TEM sample preparation area.
- Provide operator support as an equipment expert for challenging samples and special projects.
- Five years’ experience with TEM (experience with Cs-corrected Titan)
- Five years’ experience utilizing at least two of the following techniques: WDS, EDS, FIB/SEM, STEM, EFTEM and EELS.
- PhD in materials science or engineering or related Master’s degree with extensive experience
Additional qualifications (not required but preferred)
- Experience with nanotechnologies, thin films, semiconductors
- More than 10 years’ analytical microscopy experience
- Experience using EDS (EDAX), WDS (EDAX), EBSD (TSL), TEM (FEI)
- Experience training or teaching
- EELS, EFTEM and GIF experience
- Image processing and automated image analysis experience