Hamid Ait Abderrahmane Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
Assistant Professor – Mechanical Engineering
Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
Phone number: +971 2 810 9306
Dr. Hamid Ait Abderrahmane received his PhD from the Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering at Concordia University, Montreal, Canada, in 2009. Prior to joining Masdar Institute, he was a Postdoctoral Fellow at McGill University, Canada and Postdoctoral Fellow at King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Saudi Arabia.
Dr. Abderrahmane’s research interests include the general fields of fluid mechanics and fluid-structure interactions with a particular focus on nonlinear dynamics in fluid-structure interactions and hydrodynamic instabilities. He was awarded two prestigious postdoctoral scholarships in Canada and his PhD work was honored as one of the top 10 discoveries of the year (2009) by Quebec Science Magazine. His work on flow visualizations received the prestigious Milton Van Dyke Award, Gallery of Fluid Motion (2010).
Dr. Abderrahmane has published 27 research papers in leading journals including Physical Review Letters, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Physics of Fluids and Physical Review E, and he has written 36 papers for international conference proceedings. Apart from his research, Dr. Abderrahmane has served for many years as a teaching assistant and a lecturer of various courses at the University of Tizi-Ouzou (Algeria) and Concordia University (Canada).
- Differential Equations
- Linear Algebra
Dr. Abderrahmane’s current research interests include:
- Hydrodynamics instabilities.
- Magnetohydrodynamics instabilities.
- Thin film flow and interfacial flows.
- Swirling flows and vortex instabilities.
- Fluid-Structure interactions.
Selected Peer-Reviewed Journal Papers:
- Ait Abderrahmane, H., Fayed, M., Ng, H.D., and Vatistas, G.H., A note on relative equilibria in rotating shallow water layer. Journal Fluid Mechanics. 724,695-703. 2013.
- Amaouche, M., Ait Abderrahmane, H., and Bourdache, L Hydromagnetic thin film flow: linear stability. Physical Review E. 88, 023028. 2013.
- Amaouche, M., Ait Abderrahmane, H and Vatistas, G.H., Rotating solitary wave at the wall of a cylindrical container. Physical Review E. 87, 043015. 2013.