Mohamed Al Hosani Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Assistant Professor – Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
Program: Electrical Power Engineering
Phone number: +971 2 810 9301
Dr. Mohamed Al Hosani was the first graduate under the Masdar Institute Fellowship Program, obtaining his MSc and PhD degrees in Electrical Engineering from the University of Central Florida, USA, in 2010 and 2013, respectively. There, he worked on developing new techniques for islanding detection and prevention to improve the integrity and performance of distributed generations during islanding events. He received a BSc degree in Electrical Engineering from the American University of Sharjah, UAE, in 2008.
In 2014, Dr. Al Hosani joined the Masdar Institute of Science and Technology as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. He was a Visiting Professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA, for 8 months during 2015-2016.
Dr. Al Hosani is the recipient of a number of awards including the 2008 IEEE Myron Zucker Industry Applications Award, the 2008 National Advisory Council Research Award, the 2009 Sharjah Islamic Bank Research Award, and the 2014 Sheikh Rashid Award for Academic Excellence.
Dr. Al Hosani is a professional member of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), has published several IEEE conference and journal papers, and serves as a peer reviewer for several journals, including IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Energy Conversion, Power Electronics, Industrial Electronics, and Smart Grid.
- FDN 455 Introduction to Power Systems
- EPE 503 Distributed Generation
- EPE 502 Dynamic Systems and Control
- Optimal Estimation for Control and Power System Applications
- Nonlinear Control Systems
ADVISOR TO CURRENT MASDAR INSTITUTE STUDENTS
- David Amoateng, PhD Student
- Adham Alkhaja, MSc Student
- Hafiz Khan, MSc Student
- Faisal Hameed, MSc Student
- Wasiu Sanusi, MSc Student
- Abdullahi Bamigbade, (Co-advisor)
- Adedayo Aderibole, MSc Student, (Co-advisor)
- Faisal Mumtaz, MSc Student (Co-advisor)
- Islanding Detection of inverter based Distributed Generation
- Distributed Generation Protection and Control
- Modeling and Stability Analysis of Micro-grid and Smart Grid
- Parameter Estimation and Observation
- Control System Theory
- Project’s title: “Study and Development of Intelligent Multi-Microgrids with Interactive Capabilities” PIs: Dr. Mohamed Al Hosani, Prof. James L. Kirtley and Dr. Konstantin Turitsyn; MI-MIT collaborative research project. http://web.mit.edu/mit-mi-cp/research/projects/power06.html
- Space Concentrations: Joint Multi- disciplinary Graduate Academic Space Program between Yahsat, Masdar Institute and Orbital ATK, Dr. Mohamed Al Hosani (Lead Co-PI for ADCS subsystem)
- A. Aderibole, H.H. Zeineldin, and M. Al Hosani, “A Critical Assessment of Oscillatory Modes in Multi-Microgrids Comprising of Synchronous and Inverter Based Distributed Generation,” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems (under review).
- A. Aderibole, H.H. Zeineldin, M.S. El Moursi, J. Peng, and M. Al Hosani, “Domain of Stability Characterization for Hybrid Microgrids Considering Different Power Sharing Conditions,” IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion (under review).
- F. Hameed, M. Al Hosani, and H.H. Zeineldin, “A Modified Backward/Forward Sweep Load Flow Method for Islanded Radial Microgrids,” IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid (under review).
- E. Aprilia, K. Meng, M. Al Hosani, H.H. Zeineldin, and Z. Dong, “Unified Power Flow Algorithm for Standalone Hybrid AC/DC Microgrids,” IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid (under review).
- P. Huang, P. Vorobev, M. Al Hosani, J. L. Kirtley, and K. Turitsyn, “Systematic Design of Virtual Component Method for Inverter-Based Microgrids,” accepted in the 2017 IEEE PES General Meeting, 16-20 July 2017.
- P. Vorobev, P. Huang, M. Al Hosani, J. L. Kirtley, and K. Turitsyn, “High-Fidelity Model Order Reduction for Microgrid Stability Assessment,” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, in press.
- W. Sanusi, M. Al Hosani, and M.S. El Moursi, “A Novel DC Fault Ride-Through Scheme for MTDC Networks Using Mechanical DC Circuit Breakers,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, in press.
- Y. Yu, Y. Zou, M. Al Hosani, and G. Tian “Conductivity Invariance Phenomenon of Eddy Current NDT: Investigation, Verification and Application,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 1-7, Jan. 2017.
- F. Mumtaz, M. H. Syed, M. Al Hosani, and H.H. Zeineldin, “A Novel Approach to Solve Power Flow for Islanded Microgrids Using Modified Newton Raphson with Droop Control of DG,” IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 493-503, April 2016.
- M. Al Hosani, Z. Qu, and H.H. Zeineldin, “Scheduled Perturbation to Reduce Nondetection Zone for Low Gain Sandia Frequency Shift Method,” IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol.6, no.6, pp.3095-3103, Nov. 2015.
- F. Mumtaz, M. H. Syed, M. Al Hosani, and H.H. Zeineldin, “A simple and accurate approach to solve the power flow for balanced islanded microgrids,” 2015 IEEE 15th International Conference on Environment and Electrical Engineering (EEEIC), pp.1852-1856, 10-13 June 2015.
- M. Al Hosani, Z. Qu and H.H. Zeineldin, “A Transient Stiffness Measure for Islanding Detection of Multi-DG Systems,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol.30, no.2, pp.986-995, April 2015
- M. Al Hosani, Z. Qu and H.H. Zeineldin, “Development of Dynamic Estimators for Islanding Detection of Inverter-Based DG,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol.30, no.1, pp.428-436, February 2015
- M. Al Hosani, and Z. Qu, “Robust Non-Linear Observer for Islanding Detection of Inverter Based Distributed Generation,” Proceedings of the 2012 Australian Control Conference, pp. 41-47, 15-16 November 2012
- M. Al Hosani, Z. Qu and H.H. Zeineldin, “Development of Current Dynamic Estimator for Islanding Detection of Inverter Based Distributed Generation,” 2010 International Conference on Power System Technology (POWERCON), pp. 1-8, 24-28 October 2010
- N. Qaddoumi, A.H. El-Hag, M. Al Hosani, I. Al Mansouri and H. Al Ghufli, "Detecting defects in outdoor non-ceramic insulators using near-field microwave non-destructive testing," IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, vol.17, no.2, pp.402-407, April 2010