Tariq Shamim Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
Professor - Mechanical Engineering
Phone number: +971 2 810 9158
Dr. Shamim earned his doctorate in mechanical engineering and a master’s in aerospace engineering from the University of Michigan – Ann Arbor. He received a second master’s in mechanical engineering from the University of Windsor, Canada, and holds his bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering from the N.E.D. University in Karachi. Prior to joining the Masdar Institute, Dr. Shamim was a tenured faculty member in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Michigan-Dearborn, where he worked since 1997. During his sabbatical and summer leaves from the University, Dr. Shamim also held visiting faculty appointments at the National University of Singapore, American University of Sharjah, NED University of Engineering & Technology, Oak Ridge National Laboratory and Ford Motor Company.
Dr. Shamim specializes in the broad area of thermal sciences. His main expertise is in the fields of energy systems, carbon capture, fuel cells, combustion, and emission control. His research and consulting work has been supported by several grants from the National Science Foundation (NSF), U.S. Department of Defense, U.S. Department of Energy, and the automotive companies. He has been actively involved in many professional organizations including ASME, SAE and Combustion Institute. He is a recipient of SAE International Ralph Teetor award (2004) for excellence in teaching. He is currently serving on the editorial board of three journals.
- Advanced Thermodynamics
- Advanced Heat Transfer
- Sustainable Energy Systems
- Fuel Cell Systems
- Combustion and Emissions Control
Advisor to current Masdar Institute students
- Mohammed Nazeer Khan (PhD)
- Alberto Gomez Gomez
- Diego Borja de Haro Ruiz
- Majed saeed Almarzouqi
- Oghare Victor Ogidiama
- Saad Akhtar
Research Interest/Research Projects
- Modeling of Combustion and Reacting Flow
- Advanced Energy Systems - Fuel Cells
- Emissions Control
- CO2 Capture
- Hydrogen Production
- Sustainable Mobility
- Shamim, T., “Effect of Oxygen Storage Capacity on the Dynamic Characteristics of an Automotive Catalytic Converter”, Energy Conversion & Management, Vol. 49(11), pp. 3292 -3300, 2008.
- Vorobev, A., Zikanov, O., and Shamim, T. “A Computational Model of a PEM Fuel Cell with Finite Vapor Absorption Rate”, Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 166, pp. 92-103, 2007.
- Shamim, T., Xia, C., and Mohanty, P., “Modeling and Analysis of Combustion Assisted Thermal Spray Processes”, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, Vol. 46(8), pp.755-767, 2007.