Steve Griffiths Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering
Chemical Engineering /Engineering Systems and Management
Dr. Steven Griffiths is Vice President for Research, Interim Associate Provost and Professor of Practice at the Masdar Institute of Science and Technology. At the Masdar Institute, Dr. Griffiths has overall responsibility for research and academic affairs, including large-scale, collaborative research programs and centers, research development, sponsored programs, technology transfer, and research laboratories. Outside of Masdar Institute, Dr. Griffiths is advisor to the UAE Research Program for Rain Enhancement Science, a Zayed Future Energy Prize Selection Committee member, a Global Energy Prize International Award Committee member, and additionally engaged as an evaluator and mentor in regional and international research and innovation competitions and programs. He served as a member of the Middle East Solar Industry Association (MESIA) Board of Directors from 2012 to 2015 and advised the government of Alberta, Canada on provincial innovation system structuring during 2014. Dr. Griffiths is Associate Editor and member of the Editorial Board of Elsevier’s international journal Energy Strategy Reviews and engaged as editorial board member and advisor to journals and magazines focused on energy systems and technology innovation more broadly. Dr. Griffiths’ insights on innovation, energy policy and energy strategy have appeared in numerous international peer-reviewed journals and think tank publications.
Prior to his role at Masdar Institute, Dr. Griffiths was the Executive Director of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Technology and Development Program’s MIT/Abu Dhabi Program and the founding Executive Vice President of Light Pharma Inc. In these roles he has worked internationally in leading the development and implementation of technical solutions and partnerships across multiple sectors. His interests and expertise span the fields of process design, technology development, and technology strategy.
Dr. Griffiths holds a PhD in Chemical Engineering from the MIT and an MBA from the MIT Sloan School of Management.
Courses / Teaching Interests:
- Technology Strategy
- Sustainable Energy
Research Interest/Research Projects
- Technology strategy
- Technology transfer
- Management and innovaton processes
- Renewable energy policy
- Renewable energy and sustainability investment
Selected Peer Reviewed Publications
- S. Griffiths, “Renewable Energy Policy Trends and Recommendations for GCC Countries”, The Journal of Energy Transitions, submitted.
- S. Griffiths, “A Review and Assessment of Energy Policy in the Middle East and North Africa Region”, Energy Policy, accepted for publication, 2016.
- S. Griffiths and R. Mills, “Potential of rooftop solar photovoltaics in the energy system evolution of the United Arab Emirates”, Energy Strategy Reviews, vol. 9, pg. 1, 2016.
- S. Sgouridis, A. Abdullah, S. Griffiths, D. Saygin, N. Wagner, D. Gielen, H. Reinisch, D. McQueen, “RE-mapping the UAE's Energy Transition: An Economy-wide Assessment of Renewable Energy Options and their Policy Implications”, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 55, pg. 1166, 2016.
- R. Khosrokhavar, S. Griffiths, K-H Wolf, “Shale Gas Formations and Their Potential for Carbon Storage: Opportunities and Outlook”, Environmental Processes, 2014, DOI 10.1007/s40710-014-0036-4.
- T. Mezher, S. Griffiths, M. Abu Zahra, and Z. Abbas, “Fuel Outlook for Power Generation in MENA Region”, Journal of Energy Engineering, 2014, http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EY.1943-7897.0000204.
- S. Sgouridis, S. Griffiths, S. Kennedy, and A. Khlalid, “A sustainable energy transition strategy for the United Arab Emirates: Evaluation of options using an Integrated Energy Model”, Energy Strategy Reviews, 2013, vol. 2, pg. 8.
- S. Griffiths, “Strategic considerations for deployment of solar photovoltaics in the Middle East and North Africa”, Energy Strategy Reviews, Energy Strategy Reviews, 2013, vol. 2, pg. 125.
- S. Griffiths and R. Weijermars, “Introduction to Energy Strategy Reviews theme issue “Strategy options and models for the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) energy transition””, Energy Strategy Reviews, Energy Strategy Reviews, 2013, vol. 2, pg. 1.
- R. Weijermars, et al., “Energy strategy research - Charter and perspectives of an emerging discipline”, Energy Strategy Reviews, 2013, vol. 1, pg. 135.
- N. Al-Hosany, S. Griffiths, D. Gielen, “Prospects for Renewable Energy Technology Advancements in the Electricity Sector”, Technology and the Future of Energy, The Emirates Center for Strategic Studies and Research, 2013.
- A. Biwer, S. Griffith and C.L. Cooney, “Uncertainty analysis of pencillin V production using Monte Carlo simulation”, Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 2005, vol. 90, pg. 167.
- S. Griffiths and C.L. Cooney, “Development of a peptide mapping procedure to identify and quantify methionine oxidation in recombinant human a1-antitrypsin”, Journal of Chromatography A, 2002, vol. 942, pg. 133.
- S. Griffiths, J. King, and C.L. Cooney, “The reactivity and oxidation pathway of cysteine 232 in recombinant human a1-antitrypsin”, Journal of Biological Chemistry, 2002, vol. 277, pg. 25,486.
- S. Griffiths and C.L. Cooney, “Relationship between protein structure and methionine reactivity in recombinant human a1-antitrypsin”, Biochemistry, 2002, vol. 41, pg. 6,245.
- S. Griffiths and D. Orkoubi, “Energy and Climate Policies to Stimulate Renewables Deployment in GCC Countries”, in Renewable Energy in the GCC: In Search of the best policy framework, accepted, 2016.
- A. Kiani, T. Mezher, S. El Khatib and S. Griffiths, “Potential impact of methane hydrate development on GCC and NEA energy trade”, in Energy Relations and Policy Making in Asia. Eds. Leo Lester and Brian Efird, Palgrave Macmillan, 2016, page 33-47.
- S. Griffiths, “Oxidation of the sulfur-containing amino acids in recombinant human a1-antitrypsin”, Ph.D. Thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2002.
- S. Griffiths, “Mathematical Modeling of Active Environmental Barriers”, Honors Thesis, Bucknell University, 1997.
- S. Griffiths, “The Convergence of Energy and Information Systems Globally and in the UAE”, Innovation and Tech, issue 28, 2016, page 38.
- S. Griffiths, “Clean Energy on Region’s Agenda”, MEED Business Review, volume 1, issue 6, July 2016, page 16.
- S. Griffiths, “Seizing opportunities for distributed clean energy in the UAE”, Innovation and Tech, issue 27, 2016, page 38.
- S. Griffiths, “Water sector innovation for urbanized and water scarce regions”, Innovation and Tech, issue 25, 2016, page 30.
- S. Griffiths, “Integrating humanity and technology in smart city design”, Innovation and Tech, issue 24, 2016, page 24.
- S. Griffiths, “Role of distributed solar energy in smart city design”, Innovation and Tech, issue 23, 2016, page 22.
- S. Griffiths and T. Boersma, “Reforming Energy Subsidies: Initial Lessons from the United Arab Emirates”, Brookings Institution, 2015.
- S. Griffiths, “R&D and the Knowledge Transition”, TRENDS Magazine, World Economic Forum, October 2015.
- S. Griffiths, “A New Hub for Solar Power Research and Demonstration in the UAE”, UAE State of Energy Report 2016, UAE Ministry of Energy, 2015.
- S. Griffiths, “Research and Development for Efficient and Renewably Powered Seawater Desalination”, UAE State of Energy Report 2016, UAE Ministry of Energy, 2015.
- S. Griffiths, “Future Energy Landscapes”, BP Technology Outlook 2015, 2015.
- S. Griffiths, “Gulf Region’s Water Revolution: Rich with Opportunities and Challenges”, Arab Water World, vol. XXXVIII, issue 7, page 70, 2015.
- Y. Al Abd, O. Saif, M. Al Jasmi, S. El Khatib, S. Griffiths, “An Evaluation of the UAE National Wealth Savings from Energy Efficiency Enhancement Measures”, Masdar Institute and General Electric, 2015.
- A. Abdullah, S. Sgouridis, S. Griffiths, D. Gielen, D. Saygin, N. Wagner, “Renewable Energy Prospects: United Arab Emirates REmap 2030 Analysis”, IRENA, 2014.
- S. Griffiths, “Evolution of the UAE Energy-Water Nexus”, UAE State of Energy Report 2015, UAE Ministry of Energy, 2014.
- S. Griffiths, “Masdar City: City of Possibilities”, Oxford Institute for Energy Studies, Oxford Energy Forum, Issue 96, May 2014.
- P. Patel and S. Griffiths (Feature Editor), “Masdar City showcases sustainability”, Materials Research Society Bulletin, June 2013, vol. 38, page 450.
- S. Griffiths, “Smart Power – An Energy System Transformation from Chip to Grid”, Technology Time Machine 2012 – Paving the Path for the Future Technology Developments, IEEE Technology Time Machine Symposium (TTM), 2012.
- "Sustainable Prosperity through Innovation: Expert Panel Report on Transforming Alberta's Innovation System ". University Ventures International, 2013.
- M. Aljasmi, Y. Al Abd, O. Saif, S. Griffiths, S. El Khatib. “Economic Evaluation of Efficiency Enhancement Interventions in UAE Energy Value Chain”, 9th International Conference on Energy and Development, Environment and Biomedicine (EDEB15), Seoul, South Korea, September 5-7, 2015.
- S. Griffiths, “Towards Sustainable Prosperity: Developing and Implementing an Innovation Ecosystem in Abu Dhabi”, Workshop on Science & Technology Education, Research and Innovation in GCC Countries, at Gulf Research Meeting, Cambridge University, Cambridge UK August 2014.
- A. Hussain, T. Mezher, and S. Griffiths, “Economic Assessment of Large Scale Solar Photovoltaic Projects in the
UAE”, Paper presented at 2013 IEEE International Technology Management Conference & 19th ICE Conference, the Hague, June 2013.
- Y.K. Lin, T. Mezher, and S. Griffiths, “Technology Strategy in the Solar and Wind Renewable Energy Industries”, Paper presented at Portland International Conference on Management of Engineering & Technology, Portland, OR, July 2012.
- S. Griffiths and C. Cooney, "Methionine Oxidation in Recombinant Human a1-Antitrypsin During Bioprocessing", Paper presented at Biochemical Engineering XII, Sonoma, CA, June 2001.
- S. Griffiths, P. Hecht , G. Miller, and C. Cooney , "Evaluation of Penicillin Production Economics with Process Simulation", Abstracts of Papers of the American Chemical Society 2000, Vol 219, pp. 372-BIOT.
- S. Griffiths, T. Ransohoff, M. Sun, and C. Cooney, "Process Design for the Production of Recombinant Proteins in Transgenic Plants", Paper presented at Recovery of Biological Products IX, Whistler, Canada, June 1999.
- S. Griffiths, "Evaluation of Process Economics with Process Simulation", Paper presented at BioTherapeutics '99: Mid-Conference Intensive I: Process Economics in Primary Recovery, Washington, D.C., October 1999.