Assistant Professor – Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
Program: Electrical Power Engineering
Phone number: +971 2 810 9301
Dr. Mohamed Al Hosani was the first graduate under the Masdar Institute Fellowship Program, obtaining his MSc and PhD degrees in Electrical Engineering from the University of Central Florida, USA, in 2010 and 2013, respectively. There, he worked on developing new techniques for islanding detection and prevention to improve the integrity and performance of distributed generations during islanding events. He received a BSc degree in Electrical Engineering from the American University of Sharjah, UAE, in 2008.
In 2014, Dr. Al Hosani joined the Masdar Institute of Science and Technology as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. He is currently a Visiting Professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA.
Dr. Al Hosani is the recipient of a number of awards including the 2008 IEEE Myron Zucker Industry Applications Award, the 2008 National Advisory Council Research Award, the 2009 Sharjah Islamic Bank Research Award, and the 2014 Sheikh Rashid Award for Academic Excellence.
Dr. Al Hosani is a professional member of IEEE, has published several IEEE conference and journal papers, and serves as a peer reviewer for several journals, including IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Energy Conversion, Power Electronics, Industrial Electronics, and Smart Grid.
- FDN 455: Introduction to Power Systems
- EPE 503: Distributed Generation
- Optimal Estimation for Control and Power System Applications
- Nonlinear Control Systems
Advisor To Current Masdar Institute Students
- Wasiu Sanusi
- Faisal Hameed
- Abel Gracia Reyes
- Faisal Mumtaz (Co-advisor)
- Islanding Detection of inverter based Distributed Generation.
- Distributed Generation Protection and Control.
- Modeling and Stability Analysis of Micro-grid and Smart grid.
- Parameter Estimation and Observation.
- Control System Theory.
Current Research Project:
“Study and Development of Intelligent Multi-Microgrids with Interactive Capabilities”
Principal investigators of this project are Dr. Mohamed Al Hosani, Prof. James L. Kirtley and Dr. Konstantin Turitsyn. The project is a collaborative project between Masdar Institute and Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- W. Sanusi, M. Al Hosani, and M.S. El Moursi, “A Novel DC Fault Ride-Through Scheme for MTDC Networks Using Mechanical DC Circuit Breakers,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery (under review).
- F. Mumtaz, M. H. Syed, M. Al Hosani, and H.H. Zeineldin, “A Novel Approach to Solve Power Flow for Islanded Microgrids Using Modified Newton Raphson with Droop Control of DG,” IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, in press.
- M. Al Hosani, Z. Qu, and H.H. Zeineldin, “Scheduled Perturbation to Reduce Nondetection Zone for Low Gain Sandia Frequency Shift Method,” IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol.6, no.6, pp.3095-3103, Nov. 2015.
- F. Mumtaz, M. H. Syed, M. Al Hosani, and H.H. Zeineldin, “A simple and accurate approach to solve the power flow for balanced islanded microgrids,” 2015 IEEE 15th International Conference on Environment and Electrical Engineering (EEEIC), pp.1852-1856, 10-13 June 2015.
- M. Al Hosani, Z. Qu and H.H. Zeineldin, “A Transient Stiffness Measure for Islanding Detection of Multi-DG Systems,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol.30, no.2, pp.986-995, April 2015
- M. Al Hosani, Z. Qu and H.H. Zeineldin, “Development of Dynamic Estimators for Islanding Detection of Inverter-Based DG,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol.30, no.1, pp.428-436, February 2015
- M. Al Hosani, and Z. Qu, “Robust Non-Linear Observer for Islanding Detection of Inverter Based Distributed Generation,” Proceedings of the 2012 Australian Control Conference, pp. 41-47, 15-16 November 2012
- M. Al Hosani, Z. Qu and H.H. Zeineldin, “Development of Current Dynamic Estimator for Islanding Detection of Inverter Based Distributed Generation,” 2010 International Conference on Power System Technology (POWERCON), pp. 1-8, 24-28 October 2010
- N. Qaddoumi, A.H. El-Hag, M. Al Hosani, I. Al Mansouri and H. Al Ghufli, "Detecting defects in outdoor non-ceramic insulators using near-field microwave non-destructive testing," IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, vol.17, no.2, pp.402-407, April 2010