Assistant Professor – Electrical Power Engineering
Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Phone number: +971 2 810 9301
Dr. Mohamed Al Hosani received his BSc in Electrical Engineering from the American University of Sharjah, in 2008. After that, he joined the Masdar Institute Fellowship Program in 2008 to obtain MSc and PhD degrees in Electrical Engineering from the University of Central Florida, Orlando, US, in 2010 and 2013, respectively. His PhD work focused on the Development of Transient and Distributed Algorithms to Improve Islanding Detection Capability of Inverter Based Distributed Generation.
Dr. Al Hosani is currently an Assistant Professor in the Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department at Masdar Institute. He is the recipient of a number of awards including the 2008 IEEE Myron Zucker Industry Applications Award, the 2008 National Advisory Council Research Award, and the 2009 Sharjah Islamic Bank Research Award. Dr. Al Hosani has several IEEE conference and journal publications and is also a reviewer for several journals including IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Energy Conversion, Industrial Electronics, and Smart Grid. He is also a professional member of IEEE. His main research interests include islanding detection algorithms, distributed generation protection and control, and micro-grid stability analysis.
- FDN 455 Introduction to Power Systems (Fall 2014)
Advisor To current Students
- Wasiu Sanusi
- Suaad Al Marzouqi
- Faisal Mumtaz (Co-advisor)
- Islanding Detection of Inverter Based Distributed Generation (DG)
- Distributed Generation Protection and Control
- Modeling and Stability Analysis of Micro-Grid and Smart Grid
- Parameter Estimation and Observation.
- Control System Theory.
- M. Al Hosani, Z. Qu and H. Zeineldin, “Development of Dynamic Estimators for Islanding Detection of Inverter-Based DG,” accepted for publication in IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, 2014.
- M. Al Hosani, Z. Qu and H. Zeineldin, “A Transient Stiffness Measure for Islanding Detection of Multi-DG Systems,” accepted for publication in IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, 2014.
- M. Al Hosani, and Z. Qu, “Robust Non-Linear Observer for Islanding Detection of Inverter Based Distributed Generation,” Proceedings of the 2012 Australian Control Conference, pp. 41-47, 15-16 November 2012
- M. Al Hosani, Z. Qu and H. Zeineldin, “Development of Current Dynamic Estimator for Islanding Detection of Inverter Based Distributed Generation,” 2010 International Conference on Power System Technology (POWERCON), pp. 1-8, 24-28 October 2010
- N. Qaddoumi, A.H. El-Hag, M. Al Hosani, I. Al Mansouri and H. Al Ghufli, "Detecting defects in outdoor non-ceramic insulators using near-field microwave non-destructive testing," IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, vol.17, no.2, pp.402-407, April 2010