Assistant Professor - Department of Mechanical & Materials Engineering (MME), Thermal Energy Storage (TES) Group Leader
Phone number: +971 2 810 9413
Dr. Nicolas Calvet obtained his PhD in Engineering Science (Energy and Environment) in 2010 at the PROMES CNRS Laboratory in South of France. There he worked on different thermal energy storage materials and processes, using latent and sensible heat from low to high temperatures.
In 2011, Dr. Calvet joined the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) in the USA, working on heat transfer fluids such as molten salts as a postdoctoral researcher in the CSP group. In 2012, he joined the CIC Energigune Energy Cooperative Research Centre in Spain, where he worked in the TES group on storage materials as a postdoctoral researcher.
In 2013, Dr. Calvet joined the Masdar Institute of Science and Technology as an Assistant Professor, where he leads the new Thermal Energy Storage group.
- UCC501 Part 1: Solar Resource and Solar Technologies
- UCC501 Part 2: Thermal Energy Storage for Concentrated Solar Power
Advisor to current Masdar Institute students
- M.Sc. Students:
- Ph.D. Student:
- Thermal Energy Storage (TES) Materials & Systems for Concentrated Solar Power (CSP) on Demand:
- Sand storage (SANDSTOCK Project)
- Concrete storage
- Direct molten salt solar receiver/storage system
- Heat Transfer Fluids (HTF) development
- Direct Steam Generation (DSG)
- Latent Heat Storage for Solar Cooling Applications
- N. Calvet, et al., “Enhanced performances of macro-encapsulated phase change materials (PCMs) by intensification of the internal effective thermal conductivity.” Energy (2013). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2013.03.078.
- N. Calvet, et al., “Compatibility of a post-industrial ceramic with nitrate molten salts for use as filler material in a thermocline storage system.” Applied Energy (2013). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2012.12.078.
- N. Calvet, et al., “Waste from metallurgic industry: a sustainable high-temperature thermal energy storage material for concentrated solar power,” ASME, 6th Energy Sustainability Conference, July 14-19, 2013, Minneapolis, MN, USA.
More publications on his Linkedin Profile