Assistant Professor - Water & Environmental Engineering
Dr. Shadi W. Hasan holds BSc, MASc, and PhD in Chemical, Mechanical and Environmental Engineering, respectively.
Dr. Hasan’s field of expertise includes water purification, wastewater treatment and reuse, water desalination, and nanotechnology. He is leading several projects in water desalination using forward osmosis, reverse osmosis and capacitive deionization technologies at Ghantoot (Abu Dhabi), and is also leading a wastewater treatment project with Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) (Cambridge-USA).
Throughout his academic career, Dr. Hasan has been recognized as an excellent designer (first to design the novel submerged membrane electro-bioreactor for municipal wastewater treatment at a pilot scale-Montreal, Canada) and has obtained a number of awards during the International Environmental Design Contests (EDC) held in UAE between 2000 and 2004. He also received a number of prestigious awards including FQRNT doctoral scholarship (ranked 5th across the Province of Quebec, Canada), Concordia University accelerator award (for finishing his PhD within the minimum residency time) as well as his doctoral thesis being nominated for the 2012 Concordia University best thesis award.
Dr. Hasan has authored and co-authored over 50 articles in peer reviewed journals and conference proceedings including IWA, EREM, and WEFTEC; and generated significant research interest abroad in the USA and overseas. Dr. Hasan’s research has significant impacts and led to several funding opportunities both internally and externally.
- FDN 462: Chemistry and Separation Science
- WEN 504: Desalination
- WEN 617: Membrane Technology
Masdar Institute Students:
- Ms. Nawshad Akther, MSc student. Thesis subject: Optimization of PBI membrane fabrication process for forward-osmosis desalination in the UAE, Main advisor
- Ms. Sahar Daer, MSc student. Thesis subject: Forward osmosis silica based membranes for seawater desalination in Abu Dhabi, Main advisor
- Ms. Ayesha AlAli, MSc student. Thesis subject: Indigenous resources as wastewater pollutant removal in Abu Dhabi, Main advisor
- Ms. Shefaa Mansour, MSc student. Thesis subject: Produced water treatment by membrane distillation, Main advisor
- Ms. Menatalla Ahmed, MSc student. Thesis subject: Industrial wastewater treatment using electrically enhanced membrane bio-reactor, Main advisor
- Ms. Aisha Albloushi, MSc student. Thesis subject: Forecasting the energy consumption for different technologies of desalination in GCC countries by 2030, Main advisor
- Mr. Diego Garcia, MSc student. Thesis subject: Photocatalytic treatment of wastewater under visible radiation, Co-advisor
- Ms. Cynthia Elizalde, MSc student. Thesis subject: Development of novel PVDF membranes with ultrafast transport using scarifying nano-strands for membrane distillation, Co-advisor
- Mr. Adewale Giwa, PhD student. Thesis subject: Bio-Electro-Nanowires wastewater treatment system – modeling and experimentations, Main advisor
- Ms. Mozah Zeyoudi, PhD student. Thesis subject: the removal of halogenated hydrocarbons from water using ionic liquids (ILs) or deep eutectic solvents (DESs), Co-advisor
- Mr. Bader Bin Ashoor, PhD student and Masdar fellow, RWTH Aachen University. Thesis subject: Dynamic modeling and identification of a lab-scale direct contact membrane distillation plant, Co-advisor
Research Interest/Research Projects
- Wastewater treatment and reuse
- Design of advanced hybrid membrane bio-electro-reactor for wastewater treatment
- Development of advanced wastewater treatment based on MnO2/TiO2 nanowires and membrane bio-electrochemical filtration
- Water desalination (RO, FO, MD and CDI) - Process improvement
- Nanomaterials in desalination - Membrane fabrication
- Application of electrokinetics in sludge treatment and water disinfection (bacteria inactivation)
- S. Daer, J. Kharraz, A. Giwa, S.W. Hasan, Recent applications of nanomaterials in water desalination: A critical review and future opportunities, Desalination. 367 (2015) 37–48. doi:10.1016/j.desal.2015.03.030.
- S. Jamaly, N.N. Darwish, I. Ahmed, S.W. Hasan, A short review on reverse osmosis pretreatment technologies, Desalination. 354 (2014) 30–38. doi:10.1016/j.desal.2014.09.017.
- N. Akther, A. Sodiq, A. Giwa, S. Daer, H.A. Arafat, S.W. Hasan, Recent advancements in forward osmosis desalination: A review, Chem. Eng. J. 281 (2015) 502–522. doi:10.1016/j.cej.2015.05.080.
- S. Jamaly, A. Giwa, S.W. Hasan, Recent improvements in oily wastewater treatment: Progress, challenges, and future opportunities, J. Environ. Sci. 37 (2015) 1–16. doi:10.1016/j.jes.2015.04.011.
- A. Giwa, S.W. Hasan, Theoretical investigation of the influence of operating conditions on the treatment performance of an electrically-induced membrane bioreactor, J. Water Process Eng. 6 (2015) 72–82. doi:10.1016/j.jwpe.2015.03.004.
- A. Giwa, S.W. Hasan, Numerical modeling of an electrically enhanced membrane bioreactor (MBER) treating medium-strength wastewater, J. Environ. Manage. 164 (2015) 1–9.
- S.W. Hasan, M. Elektorowicz, J.A. Oleszkiewicz, Correlations between trans-membrane pressure (TMP) and sludge properties in submerged membrane electro-bioreactor (SMEBR) and conventional membrane bioreactor (MBR)., Bioresour. Technol. 120 (2012) 199–205. doi:10.1016/j.biortech.2012.06.043.
- A. Giwa, I. Ahmed, S.W. Hasan, Enhanced sludge properties and distribution study of sludge components in electrically-enhanced membrane bioreactor., J. Environ. Manage. 159 (2015) 78–85. doi:10.1016/j.jenvman.2015.05.035.
- M. Zeyoudi, E. Altenaiji, L.Y. Ozer, I. Ahmed, A.F. Yousef, S.W. Hasan, Impact of continuous and intermittent supply of electric field on the function and microbial community of wastewater treatment electro-bioreactors, Electrochim. Acta. (2015). doi:10.1016/j.electacta.2015.04.095.
- S.W. Hasan, M. Elektorowicz, J.A. Oleszkiewicz, Start-up period investigation of pilot-scale submerged membrane electro-bioreactor (SMEBR) treating raw municipal wastewater., Chemosphere. 97 (2014) 71–7. doi:10.1016/j.chemosphere.2013.11.009.
- M. Elektorowicz, S.W. Hasan, J.A. Oleszkiewicz, Pilot studies of a novel submerged membrane electro-bioreactor (SMEBR), in: Proc. Water Environ. Fed. WEFTEC 2011, 2011: pp. 3605–3611.