Phone number: +971 2 810 9234
Dr. Jimmy Peng received his PhD and B.E. (First Class Honors) degrees from the University of Auckland in 2012 and 2008 respectively. His PhD research focused on evaluating and developing real-time algorithms that promptly detect electromechanical oscillations within transmission grids. This is accomplished by extracting system information from Synchrophasor measurements. Prior to joining Masdar Institute, Dr. Peng was a Research Fellow at the University of Auckland, New Zealand.
Dr. Peng is recognized as one of the New Zealand Smart Grid experts. He has been invited to present panel papers at the North American Synchrophasor Initiative workshop in 2010, and IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting in 2011. In 2011, Dr. Peng was nominated by Standards New Zealand to join the National Committee in International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC). He is actively involved with IEEE Power and Energy Society (PES), and served on the technical committee for IEEE PES POWERCON 2012 Conference. Currently, Dr. Peng is a member of IEEE Power System Dynamic Measurement working group and IEEE Power System Restoration Dynamics Task Force. He is also a member of North American SynchroPhasor Initiative (NASPI).
Advisor to Current Masdar Institute Students:
- Abdulla Mohammed Ali Al Shammari
- Abubeker Alamin
- Younes Isbeih
- Salish Maharjan
- Maksymilian Klimontowicz
Dr. Peng’s research interests are in the fields of power system stability, operational security and network reliability. Current focuses are:
- Real-time detection of angular instability, voltage instability, and frequency instability
- Wide-area control strategies for damping inter-area oscillations, and reactive compensations
- Grid operational impact due to large-scale renewable integration
- Three-phase state estimator for power distribution systems
- Smarter network restoration strategies
- J. C. -H. Peng and N. K. C. Nair, “Enhancing Kalman Filter for Tracking Ringdown Electromechanical Oscillations,” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol.27, no.2, pp.1042-1050, 2012.
- J. C. –H. Peng, N. K. C. Nair and R. Sherry, "Phasor Measurement Network and its Applications in the New Zealand Grid: Overview and Experiences,” IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting, 2011.
- J. C. -H. Peng and N. K. C. Nair, “Adaptive Sampling Scheme for Monitoring Oscillations using Prony Analysis," IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, vol. 3, pp. 1052-1060, 2009.