Dr. Jimmy C -H Peng received his BEng (Honors) and PhD degrees from the University of Auckland, New Zealand, in 2008 and 2012, respectively.
From 2005 to 2008, he was employed by Transpower New Zealand as an undergraduate training engineer. He later worked with Transpower New Zealand to develop the first Wide Area Monitoring System (WAMS) for the New Zealand transmission grid. In 2012, Dr. Peng joined the Masdar Institute Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science as an Assistant Professor of Electrical Power Engineering. He was a Visiting Scientist with the Research Laboratory of Electronics (RLE) and a Visiting Assistant Professor with the MIT-MI Cooperative Program at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), in 2013 and 2014, respectively.
Dr. Peng currently also serves as a member of the National Committee of New Zealand at International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC), and the secretary for IEEE PES CAMS Working Group on HPC for Power Grid Analysis and Operation.
His research interests are power system stability, synchrophasor measurements, real-time system identification, and high performance computing. Visit www.psrl.info for latest research updates from the Power System Research Laboratory at Masdar Institute.
- “Mitigating Inter-Area Oscillations in Power Systems” from June 2014 to May 2016
- H. M. Khalid, and J. C. -H. Peng, “Improved Recursive Electromechanical Oscillations Monitoring Scheme: A Novel Distributed Approach,” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, in press.
- H. M. Khalid, J. C. -H. Peng, and M. S. Mahmoud, “An Enhanced Distributed Estimation Based on Prior Information,” IET Signal Processing, in press.
- J. C. –H. Peng and N. K. C. Nair, “Transmission Tomorrow: Development of Synchrophasor Applications in the New Zealand Grid”, Australian Journal of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, vol. 10, no.3, pp. 407-416, 2013.
- J. C. -H. Peng and N. K. C. Nair, “Enhancing Kalman Filter for Tracking Ringdown Electromechanical Oscillations,” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 27, no.2, pp. 1042-1050, 2012.
- J. C. -H. Peng and N. K. C. Nair, “Adaptive Sampling Scheme for Monitoring Oscillations using Prony Analysis," IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, vol. 3, no.12, pp. 1052-1060, 2009.