Assistant Professor - Electrical Power Engineering
Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Phone: +971 2 810 9234
Dr. Jimmy C. H. Peng received his BEng (First Class Honors) and PhD degrees from the University of Auckland, New Zealand, in 2008 and 2012, respectively.
From 2005 to 2008, he was employed by Transpower New Zealand as an undergraduate training engineer. He later worked with Transpower New Zealand to develop the first Wide Area Monitoring System (WAMS) for the New Zealand transmission grid.
Dr. Peng joined the Masdar Institute Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science as an Assistant Professor of Electrical Power Engineering in September, 2012. He was appointed as a Visiting Scientist with the Research Laboratory of Electronics (RLE) and a Visiting Assistant Professor with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s (MIT) MIT-MI Cooperative Program, in 2013 and 2014, respectively.
Dr. Peng currently serves on the National Committee of New Zealand at the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC). He is the secretary for IEEE Power and Energy Society Computing and Analytical Methods Subcommittee Working Group on High-Performance Computing for Power Grid Analysis and Operation.
Power system stability, synchrophasor measurements, real-time system identification, signal processing, control theory, and high performance computing.
Visit www.psrl.info for the latest research updates from the Power System Research Laboratory (PSRL) at Masdar Institute, to which Dr. Peng belongs.
- “Single-Phase Smart Meter for Distribution Systems and Microgrids” from January 2015 to June 2016
- “Mitigating Inter-Area Oscillations in Power Systems” from June 2014 to May 2016
- “Application of Phasor Measurement Units for Bad Data Detection in Power System State Estimation” from July 2014 to June 2015
- H. M. Khalid, and J. C. -H. Peng, “Improved Recursive Electromechanical Oscillations Monitoring Scheme: A Novel Distributed Approach,” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, in press.
- H. M. Khalid, J. C. -H. Peng, and M. S. Mahmoud, “An Enhanced Distributed Estimation Based on Prior Information,” IET Signal Processing, in press.
- J. C. –H. Peng and N. K. C. Nair, “Transmission Tomorrow: Development of Synchrophasor Applications in the New Zealand Grid”, Australian Journal of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, vol. 10, no.3, pp. 407-416, 2013.
- J. C. -H. Peng and N. K. C. Nair, “Enhancing Kalman Filter for Tracking Ringdown Electromechanical Oscillations,” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 27, no.2, pp. 1042-1050, 2012.
- J. C. -H. Peng and N. K. C. Nair, “Adaptive Sampling Scheme for Monitoring Oscillations using Prony Analysis," IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, vol. 3, no.12, pp. 1052-1060, 2009.