Assistant Professor - Computing and Information Science
Phone number: +971-2-8109168
Dr. Zeyar Aung is currently an Assistant Professor in the Computing and Information Science Program of Masdar Institute and also a co-director of Data and Network Analytics (DNA) Research Group. He graduated with a Ph.D. in Computer Science from the National University of Singapore in 2006. Prior to joining Masdar Institute, he worked as a research fellow for Infocomm Research, A*STAR (Agency for Science, Technology and Research), Singapore from 2006 to 2010.
Dr. Aung’s current research interests include data mining, machine learning, smart gird, cybersecurity, computational sustainability, wireless sensor networks. His past research interests were in bioinformatics and chemoinformatics. As of November 2012, he has published 28 research articles in various scientific journals and conferences, and has received a total of 140+ citations for his publications. He is currently serving on editorial boards of 6 journals including the International Journal of Smart Grid and Clean Energy. He is a professional member of IEEE. For further details, please refer to Dr. Zeyar Aung’s home page.
- FDN454: Algorithms
- CIS606: Machine Learning
- CIS611: Multimodal Data Mining
Advisor to current Masdar Institute students
- Aamna Mohammed Al Shehhi (PhD)
- Nadyah Obaid Abdouli
- Azhar Ahmed Mohammed
- Waheeb Mohammad Yaqub
- Ibrahim Mohammad Khamis
- Prajowal Manandhar
- Khawla Masood Al Dhaheri
- Fadwa Abdulaziz Alseiari
Current research interests:
- Data Mining
- Machine Learning
- Smart Grid
- Cyber Security
- Computational Sustainability
- Wireless Sensor Networks
Current research projects:
- Data Mining for Smart Grids (Masdar Institute-MIT Project)
- Monitoring and Optimization of Renewable Energy Generation using Wireless Sensor Data Analytics (MIRSG Project)
- Advanced Load Forecasting for Smart Buildings (Siemens AG Project)
For further details, see the Data & Network Analytics (DNA)
- M. A. Faisal, Z. Aung, J. R. Williams, and A. Sanchez, “Securing advanced metering infrastructure using intrusion detection system with data stream mining,” in Proc. 2012 Pacific Asia Workshop on Intelligence and Security Informatics (PAISI’12), LNCS Vol. 7299, pp. 96-111, 2012. (Won the best paper award.)
- D. Li, Z. Aung, J. Williams, and A. Sanchez, “P3: Privacy preservation protocol for appliance control application,” in Proc. 3rd IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid Communications (SmartGridComm’12), pp. 294-299, 2012.
- Z. Aung, M. Toukhy, J. Williams, A. Sanchez, and S. Herrero, “Towards accurate electricity load forecasting in smart grids,” in Proc. 4th International Conference on Advances in Databases, Knowledge, and Data Applications (DBKDA’12), pp. 51-57, 2012.