Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Phone number: +971-2-8109168
Dr. Zeyar Aung is currently an associate professor in Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science and also a member of the Institute Center for Smart and Sustainable Systems (iSmart) at Masdar Institute, which he joined in 2010. Dr. Aung graduated with a PhD in Computer Science from the National University of Singapore in 2006. Prior to joining Masdar Institute he worked as a research fellow in Institute for Infocomm Research, A*STAR (Agency for Science, Technology and Research), Singapore from 2006 to 2010.
Dr. Aung’s current research interests include big data, data mining, machine learning, smart grids, cybersecurity, computational sustainability, wireless sensor networks. His past research interests were in bioinformatics and chemoinformatics. As of September 2015, he has published over 50 research articles in various scientific journals and conferences, and has received over 400 citations for his publications.
- FDN454: Algorithms
- CIS606: Machine Learning
- CIS611: Multimodal Data Mining
Advisor to current Masdar Institute students
- Aamna Mohammed Al Shehhi (PhD)
- Nadyah Obaid Abdouli
- Azhar Ahmed Mohammed
- Waheeb Mohammad Yaqub
- Ibrahim Mohammad Khamis
- Prajowal Manandhar
- Khawla Masood Al Dhaheri
- Fadwa Abdulaziz Alseiari
Current research interests:
- Data Mining
- Machine Learning
- Smart Grid
- Cyber Security
- Computational Sustainability
- Wireless Sensor Networks
Current research projects:
- Data Mining for Smart Grids (Masdar Institute-MIT Project)
- Monitoring and Optimization of Renewable Energy Generation using Wireless Sensor Data Analytics (MIRSG Project)
- Advanced Load Forecasting for Smart Buildings (Siemens AG Project)
For further details, see the Data & Network Analytics (DNA)
- M. A. Faisal, Z. Aung, J. R. Williams, and A. Sanchez, “Securing advanced metering infrastructure using intrusion detection system with data stream mining,” in Proc. 2012 Pacific Asia Workshop on Intelligence and Security Informatics (PAISI’12), LNCS Vol. 7299, pp. 96-111, 2012. (Won the best paper award.)
- D. Li, Z. Aung, J. Williams, and A. Sanchez, “P3: Privacy preservation protocol for appliance control application,” in Proc. 3rd IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid Communications (SmartGridComm’12), pp. 294-299, 2012.
- Z. Aung, M. Toukhy, J. Williams, A. Sanchez, and S. Herrero, “Towards accurate electricity load forecasting in smart grids,” in Proc. 4th International Conference on Advances in Databases, Knowledge, and Data Applications (DBKDA’12), pp. 51-57, 2012.