Assistant Professor - Mechanical Engineering program
Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
Phone: +971 2 810 9424
Dr. TieJun (TJ) Zhang has been an assistant professor of Mechanical and Materials Engineering at the Masdar Institute of Science and Technology since 2011. He was also a short-term visiting assistant professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA.
In the past few years, he has been the principal investigator of six international and national research projects on energy and micro/nanotechnologies. Prior to joining the Masdar Institute, Dr. Zhang was a postdoctoral research associate at the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) for a US Office of Naval Research MURI project. He received his PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering from the City University of Hong Kong (2008), and his MSc and BEng degrees in Thermal Power Engineering from the Southeast University, China (2004 & 2001).
Dr. Zhang has over 100 peer-reviewed publications on multiphase flow and heat transfer, nanomaterials synthesis and fabrication, solar power generation and refrigeration cooling, energy process dynamics and control. He is an active member of American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) NanoEngineering for Energy and Sustainability Steering Committee and ASME Heat Transfer Division K18 Technical Committee. As a member of ASME and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), he has organized and chaired many conference sessions. He is also a member of the American Physical Society (APS), American Chemical Society (ACS) and Materials Research Society (MRS). He has been an invited reviewer for over 30 international journals and many leading conferences.
- MEG507 - Advanced Heat Transfer
- MEG611 - Multiphase Thermal Fluids in Power and Energy Technologies
- MEG614 - Advanced Process Dynamics and Control
Current Masdar Institute Students
- PhD Students
- Ali Al Masabai (advising with Prof. Peter Armstrong)
- Mohamed H. Al Hosani (advising with Prof. Amal Al Ghaferi)
- Md. Mahfuzur Rahman, (co-advising with Prof. Amal Al Ghaferi)
- Hongxia Li
- Omar AlFarisi (Practicing Professional)
- MSc students
- Abulimiti Aili, (advising with Prof. Daniel S. Choi)
- Sumaya Noorulla
- Afra Saeed Alketbi (advising with Prof. Matteo Chiesa)
- Safa Alzaim
- Sohail Shah (co-advising with Prof. Amal Al Ghaferi)
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow:
- Dr. Weilin Yang
- Dr. Aikifa Raza
- Dr. Chun-Yu Lu
- Phase-Change Heat Transfer and Microfluidic Flow
- Nanomaterials Synthesis and Micro/Nanofabrication
- Concentrated Solar Power Generation and Cooling
- Subsurface Multiphase Flow and Water Treatment
- Energy Process Dynamics, Control and Optimization
Ongoing Research Projects
- Impact of Pore-scale Wettability Changes on Three-Phase Relative Permeability Characterization in Carbonate Reservoirs
Dr. Zhang is the principal investigator. This project is funded by the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company R&D Oil Sub-Committee (OSC), with Professors Mohamed Sassi and Mustapha Jouiad at Masdar Institute, Kean Wang at Petroleum Institute Abu Dhabi, Mr. Kamel Zahaf and Omar Al Farisi at Abu Dhabi Marine Oil Company (ADMA-OPCO).
- Enhancing Energy Efficiency via Nanostructured Condensers for Natural Gas Processing
Dr. Zhang is the principal investigator at Masdar Institute. This project is funded by the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company R&D Gas Sub-Committee (GSC), with Professors Evelyn Wang at Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Kean Wang at Petroleum Institute in Abu Dhabi.
- Transient Characterization and Energy Harvesting of Shams-1 Concentrating Solar Power Plant
Dr. Zhang is the principal investigator. This project is funded by the UAE National Research Foundation, in collaboration with Mr. Abdulaziz Al Obaidli at the Shams Power Company in Abu Dhabi.
- High-Performance Compact Solar Thermal Power and Cooling Systems
Dr. Zhang is the principal investigator of this Masdar Institute-Massachusetts Institute of Technology Flagship Research Project, with Professors Evelyn N. Wang, Gang Chen, Nicholas X. Fang at Massachusetts Institute of Technology. For more information on this project, please click on the following link: http://web.mit.edu/mit-mi-cp/research/projects/flagship05.html
- Thermal Analysis of Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems (MEMS)
Dr. Zhang is the principal investigator. This MEMS-CAD project is funded by the Global Foundries Singapore & Mubadala Technology, with Professor Ibrahim Elfadel at Masdar Institute.
- J.Y. Lu, S.H. Nam, K. Wilke, A. Raza, Y.K. Lee, A. AlGhaferi, N.X. Fang, T.J. Zhang, “Localized Surface Plasmon Enhanced Ultrathin Film Broad-Band Nanoporous Absorbers,” Advanced Optical Materials, DOI: 10.1002/adom.201600078, 2016.
- H.R. Liu, A. Raza, A. Aili, J.Y. Lu, A. AlGhaferi, T.J. Zhang, “Sunlight-Sensitive Anti-Fouling Nanostructured TiO2 coated Cu Meshes for Ultrafast Oily Water Treatment,” Scientific Reports, DOI: 10.1038/srep25414, 2016.
- W.L. Yang, J.W. Gao, G. Feng, T.J. Zhang, “An Optimal Approach to Output-feedback Robust Model Predictive Control of LPV Systems with Disturbances,” International Journal of Robust and Nonlinear Control, DOI: 10.1002/rnc.3505, 2016.
- A. Almasabi, A. Alobaidli, T.J. Zhang, “Transient Characterization of Multiple Parabolic Trough Collector Loops in a 100 MW CSP Plant for Solar Energy Harvesting,” Energy Procedia, vol.69, pp.24-33, 2015.
- T.J. Zhang, S. Mohamed, “Conceptual Design and Analysis of Hydrocarbon-Based Solar Thermal Power and Ejector Cooling Systems in Hot Climates,” ASME Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, vol.137, 021001, 2015.
- T.J. Zhang, “Transient Characteristics and Control of Active Thermal Management Systems,” Annual Review of Heat Transfer, vol.18, DOI: 10.1615/AnnualRevHeatTransfer.2015012305, 2015.
- F. Xiao, S. Yuan, B. Liang, G. Li, S.O. Pehkonen, T.J. Zhang, “Superhydrophobic CuO Nanoneedle-covered Copper Surfaces for Anti-corrosion,” RSC Journal of Materials Chemistry A, vol.3, pp.4374-4388, 2015.
- G. Li, M.H. Alhosani, S. Yuan, H.R. Liu, A. Alghaferi, T.J. Zhang, “Microscopic Droplet Formation and Energy Transport Analysis of Condensation on Scalable Superhydrophobic Nanostructured Copper Oxide Surfaces,” Langmuir, vol.30, pp.14498–14511, 2014.
- J. Catano, T.J. Zhang, M.K. Jensen, et al., “Vapor Compression Refrigeration Cycle for Electronics Cooling–Part I: Dynamic Modeling and Experimental Validation; Part II: Gain-Scheduling Control for Critical Heat Flux Avoidance,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol.66, pp.911-929, November, 2013.
- T.J., Zhang, J.T. Wen, A. Julius, et al., “Stability Analysis and Maldistribution Control of Two-Phase Flow in Parallel Evaporating Channels,” International Journal of Heat and Mass transfer, vol.54, pp. 5298-5305, 2011.
- T.J. Zhang, Y. Peles, J.T. Wen, et al., “Analysis and Active Control of Pressure-Drop Flow Instabilities in Boiling Microchannel Systems,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol.53, pp.2347-2360, 2010.
- T.J. Zhang, T. Tong, C.Y. Chang, et al., “Ledinegg Instability in Microchannels,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 52, pp. 5661-5674, 2009.
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=beuga-EAAAAJ&hl=en