Chemical Engineering /Engineering Systems and Management
Dr. Steven Griffiths is the Executive Director of Institute Initiatives and a Professor of Practice at Masdar Institute of Science and Technology. Dr. Griffiths has overall responsibility for research, including large-scale, collaborative research programs and centers, research development, sponsored programs, technology transfer, and research laboratories. Additionally, Dr. Griffiths has an active role in multiple industry, research and innovation bodies outside of Masdar Institute, including the Middle East Solar Industry Association (MESIA) Board of Directors and the Zayed Future Energy Prize Selection Committee. Dr. Griffiths is an associate editor, a member of the editorial board of the international journal Energy Strategy Reviews, and author of various works in the energy policy and energy strategy fields.
Prior to joining Masdar Institute, Dr. Griffiths was the Executive Director of the MIT/Abu Dhabi Program at the Technology andDevelopment Program, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and the founding Executive Vice President of Light Pharma Inc. Dr. Griffiths has worked internationally as part of these previous roles, leading the development and implementation of technical and strategic partnerships. His interests and expertise lie in process design, technology strategy and financial analysis in the areas of information technology, biotechnology, and advanced energy technologies.
Dr. Griffiths holds a PhD in Chemical Engineering from MIT and an MBA from the MIT Sloan School of Management.
Courses / Teaching Interests:
- Technology Strategy
- Sustainable Energy
Research Interest/Research Projects
- Technology strategy
- Technology transfer
- Management and innovaton processes
- Renewable energy policy
- Renewable energy and sustainability investment
Selected Peer Reviewed Publications
- S. Sgouridis, A. Abdullah, S. Griffiths, D. Saygin, N. Wagner, D. Gielen, H. Reinisch, D. McQueen, “RE-mapping the UAE's Energy Transition: An Economy-wide Assessment of Renewable Energy Options and their Policy Implications”, Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, 2015, submitted.
- R. Khosrokhavar, S. Griffiths, K-H Wolf, “Shale Gas Formations and Their Potential for Carbon Storage: Opportunities and Outlook”, Environmental Processes, 2014, DOI 10.1007/s40710-014-0036-4.
- T. Mezher, S. Griffiths, M. Abu Zahra, and Z. Abbas, “Fuel Outlook for Power Generation in MENA Region”, Journal of Energy Engineering, 2014, http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EY.1943-7897.0000204.
- S. Sgouridis, S. Griffiths, S. Kennedy, and A. Khlalid, “A sustainable energy transition strategy for the United Arab Emirates: Evaluation of options using an Integrated Energy Model”, Energy Strategy Reviews, 2013, vol. 2, pg. 8.
- S. Griffiths, “Strategic considerations for deployment of solar photovoltaics in the Middle East and North Africa”, Energy Strategy Reviews, Energy Strategy Reviews, 2013, vol. 2, pg. 125.
- S. Griffiths and R. Weijermars, “Introduction to Energy Strategy Reviews theme issue “Strategy options and models for the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) energy transition””, Energy Strategy Reviews, Energy Strategy Reviews, 2013, vol. 2, pg. 1.
- R. Weijermars, et al., “Energy strategy research - Charter and perspectives of an emerging discipline”, Energy Strategy Reviews, 2013, vol. 1, pg. 135.
- N. Al-Hosany, S. Griffiths, D. Gielen, “Prospects for Renewable Energy Technology Advancements in the Electricity Sector”, Technology and the Future of Energy, The Emirates Center for Strategic Studies and Research, 2013
- A. Biwer, S. Griffith and C.L. Cooney, “Uncertainty analysis of pencillin V production using Monte Carlo simulation”, Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 2005, vol. 90, pg. 167.
- S. Griffiths and C.L. Cooney, “Development of a peptide mapping procedure to identify and quantify methionine oxidation in recombinant human 1-antitrypsin”, Journal of Chromatography A, 2002, vol. 942, pg. 133.
- S. Griffiths, J. King, and C.L. Cooney, “The reactivity and oxidation pathway of cysteine 232 in recombinant human 1-antitrypsin”, Journal of Biological Chemistry, 2002, vol. 277, pg. 25,486.
- S. Griffiths and C.L. Cooney, “Relationship between protein structure and methionine reactivity in recombinant human 1-antitrypsin”, Biochemistry, 2002, vol. 41, pg. 6,245.
- S. Griffiths, “Oxidation of the sulfur-containing amino acids in recombinant human 1-antitrypsin”, Ph.D. Thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2002.
- S. Griffiths, “Mathematical Modeling of Active Environmental Barriers”, Honors Thesis, Bucknell University, 1997.
- A. Abdullah, S. Sgouridis, S. Griffiths, D. Gielen, D. Saygin, N. Wagner, “Renewable Energy Prospects: United Arab Emirates REmap 2030 Analysis”, IRENA, 2014.
- S. Griffiths, “Evolution of the UAE Energy-Water Nexus”, UAE State of Energy Report 2015, UAE Ministry of Energy, 2014.
- S. Griffiths, “Masdar City: City of Possibilities”, Oxford Institute for Energy Studies, Oxford Energy Forum, Issue 96, May 2014.
- P. Patel and S. Griffiths (Feature Editor), “Masdar City showcases sustainability”, Materials Research Society Bulletin, June 2013, vol. 38, page 450.
- S. Griffiths, “Smart Power – An Energy System Transformation from Chip to Grid”, Technology Time Machine 2012 – Paving the Path for the Future Technology Developments, IEEE Technology Time Machine Symposium (TTM), 2012.
- "Sustainable Prosperity through Innovation: Expert Panel Report on Transforming Alberta's Innovation System ". University Ventures International, 2013.
- S. Griffiths, “Towards Sustainable Prosperity: Developing and Implementing an Innovation Ecosystem in Abu Dhabi”, Workshop on Science & Technology Education, Research and Innovation in GCC Countries, at Gulf Research Meeting, Cambridge University, Cambridge UK August 2014.
- A. Hussain, T. Mezher, and S. Griffiths, “Economic Assessment of Large Scale Solar Photovoltaic Projects in the UAE”, Paper presented at 2013 IEEE International Technology Management Conference & 19th ICE Conference, the Hague, June 2013.
- Y.K. Lin, T. Mezher, and S. Griffiths, “Technology Strategy in the Solar and Wind Renewable Energy Industries”, Paper presented at Portland International Conference on Management of Engineering & Technology, Portland, OR, July 2012.
- S. Griffiths and C. Cooney, "Methionine Oxidation in Recombinant Human 1-Antitrypsin During Bioprocessing", Paper presented at Biochemical Engineering XII, Sonoma, CA, June 2001.
- S. Griffiths, P. Hecht , G. Miller, and C. Cooney , "Evaluation of Penicillin Production Economics with Process Simulation", Abstracts of Papers of the American Chemical Society 2000, Vol 219, pp. 372-BIOT.
- S. Griffiths, T. Ransohoff, M. Sun, and C. Cooney, "Process Design for the Production of Recombinant Proteins in Transgenic Plants", Paper presented at Recovery of Biological Products IX, Whistler, Canada, June 1999.
- S. Griffiths, "Evaluation of Process Economics with Process Simulation", Paper presented at BioTherapeutics '99: Mid-Conference Intensive I: Process Economics in Primary Recovery, Washington, D.C., October 1999.