Dr. Steven GriffithsVice President for Research, Interim Associate Provost, Professor of Practice
Dr. Steven Griffiths is Vice President for Research, Interim Associate Provost and Professor of Practice at the Masdar Institute of Science and Technology.
At Masdar Institute Dr. Griffiths has overall responsibility for research and academic affairs, including large-scale, collaborative research programs and centers, research development, sponsored programs, technology transfer, and research laboratories.
Outside of Masdar Institute, Dr. Griffiths serves as advisor to the UAE Research Program for Rain Enhancement Science, is a Zayed Future Energy Prize Selection Committee member and is engaged as an evaluator and mentor in additional regional and international research and innovation competitions and programs. He served as a member of the Middle East Solar Industry Association (MESIA) Board of Directors from 2012 to 2015 and advised the government of Alberta, Canada on provincial innovation system structuring during 2014.
Dr. Griffiths is Associate Editor and member of the Editorial Board of Elsevier’s international journal Energy Strategy Reviews and member of the Editorial Board of The Journal of Energy Transitions, a collaborative effort between the King Abdullah Petroleum Studies and Research Center (KAPSARC) and the King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST). Dr. Griffiths’ insights on innovation, energy policy and energy strategy have appeared in numerous international peer-reviewed journals as well as publications from renowned think tanks such as Brookings Institution and the Oxford Institute for Energy Studies.
Prior to his role at Masdar Institute, Dr. Griffiths was the Executive Director of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Technology and Development Program’s MIT/Abu Dhabi Program and the founding Executive Vice President of Light Pharma Inc. In these roles he has worked internationally in leading the development and implementation of technical solutions and partnerships across multiple sectors. His interests and expertise span process design, technology development, and technology strategy in information technology, biotechnology, and energy.
Dr. Griffiths holds a PhD in Chemical Engineering from MIT and an MBA from the MIT Sloan School of Management.
Selected Peer Reviewed Publications
- S. Griffiths and T. Boersma, “Reforming Energy Subsidies in the United Arab Emirates”, Energy Research & Social Science, submitted.
- S. Griffiths and R. Mills, “Potential of rooftop solar photovoltaics in the energy system evolution of the United Arab Emirates”, Energy Strategy Reviews, vol. 9, pg. 1, 2016.
- S. Sgouridis, A. Abdullah, S. Griffiths, D. Saygin, N. Wagner, D. Gielen, H. Reinisch, D. McQueen, “RE-mapping the UAE's Energy Transition: An Economy-wide Assessment of Renewable Energy Options and their Policy Implications”, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 55, pg. 1166, 2016.
- R. Khosrokhavar, S. Griffiths, K-H Wolf, “Shale Gas Formations and Their Potential for Carbon Storage: Opportunities and Outlook”, Environmental Processes, 2014, DOI 10.1007/s40710-014-0036-4.
- T. Mezher, S. Griffiths, M. Abu Zahra, and Z. Abbas, “Fuel Outlook for Power Generation in MENA Region”, Journal of Energy Engineering, 2014, http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EY.1943-7897.0000204.
- S. Sgouridis, S. Griffiths, S. Kennedy, and A. Khlalid, “A sustainable energy transition strategy for the United Arab Emirates: Evaluation of options using an Integrated Energy Model”, Energy Strategy Reviews, 2013, vol. 2, pg. 8.
- S. Griffiths, “Strategic considerations for deployment of solar photovoltaics in the Middle East and North Africa”, Energy Strategy Reviews, Energy Strategy Reviews, 2013, vol. 2, pg. 125.
- S. Griffiths and R. Weijermars, “Introduction to Energy Strategy Reviews theme issue “Strategy options and models for the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) energy transition””, Energy Strategy Reviews, Energy Strategy Reviews, 2013, vol. 2, pg. 1.
- R. Weijermars, et al., “Energy strategy research - Charter and perspectives of an emerging discipline”, Energy Strategy Reviews, 2013, vol. 1, pg. 135.
- N. Al-Hosany, S. Griffiths, D. Gielen, “Prospects for Renewable Energy Technology Advancements in the Electricity Sector”, Technology and the Future of Energy, The Emirates Center for Strategic Studies and Research, 2013.
- A. Biwer, S. Griffith and C.L. Cooney, “Uncertainty analysis of pencillin V production using Monte Carlo simulation”, Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 2005, vol. 90, pg. 167.
- S. Griffiths and C.L. Cooney, “Development of a peptide mapping procedure to identify and quantify methionine oxidation in recombinant human a1-antitrypsin”, Journal of Chromatography A, 2002, vol. 942, pg. 133.
- S. Griffiths, J. King, and C.L. Cooney, “The reactivity and oxidation pathway of cysteine 232 in recombinant human a1-antitrypsin”, Journal of Biological Chemistry, 2002, vol. 277, pg. 25,486.
- S. Griffiths and C.L. Cooney, “Relationship between protein structure and methionine reactivity in recombinant human a1-antitrypsin”, Biochemistry, 2002, vol. 41, pg. 6,245.
- S. Griffiths, “Water sector innovation for urbanized and water scarce regions”, Innovation and Tech, issue 25, 2016, page 30.
- S. Griffiths, “Integrating humanity and technology in smart city design”, Innovation and Tech, issue 24, 2016, page 24.
- S. Griffiths, “Role of distributed solar energy in smart city design”, Innovation and Tech, issue 23, 2016, page 22.
- S. Griffiths and T. Boersma, “Reforming Energy Subsidies: Initial Lessons from the United Arab Emirates”, Brookings Institution, 2015.
- S. Griffiths, “R&D and the Knowledge Transition”, TRENDS Magazine, World Economic Forum, October 2015.
- S. Griffiths, “A New Hub for Solar Power Research and Demonstration in the UAE”, UAE State of Energy Report 2016, UAE Ministry of Energy, 2015.
- S. Griffiths, “Research and Development for Efficient and Renewably Powered Seawater Desalination”, UAE State of Energy Report 2016, UAE Ministry of Energy, 2015.
- S. Griffiths, “Future Energy Landscapes”, BP Technology Outlook 2015, 2015.
- S. Griffiths, “Gulf Region’s Water Revolution: Rich with Opportunities and Challenges”, Arab Water World, vol. XXXVIII, issue 7, page 70, 2015.
- Y. Al Abd, O. Saif, M. Al Jasmi, S. El Khatib, S. Griffiths, “An Evaluation of the UAE National Wealth Savings from Energy Efficiency Enhancement Measures”, Masdar Institute and General Electric, 2015.
- A. Abdullah, S. Sgouridis, S. Griffiths, D. Gielen, D. Saygin, N. Wagner, “Renewable Energy Prospects: United Arab Emirates REmap 2030 Analysis”, IRENA, 2014.
- S. Griffiths, “Evolution of the UAE Energy-Water Nexus”, UAE State of Energy Report 2015, UAE Ministry of Energy, 2014.
- S. Griffiths, “Masdar City: City of Possibilities”, Oxford Institute for Energy Studies, Oxford Energy Forum, Issue 96, May 2014.
- P. Patel and S. Griffiths (Feature Editor), “Masdar City showcases sustainability”, Materials Research Society Bulletin, June 2013, vol. 38, page 450.
- S. Griffiths, “Smart Power – An Energy System Transformation from Chip to Grid”, Technology Time Machine 2012 – Paving the Path for the Future Technology Developments, IEEE Technology Time Machine Symposium (TTM), 2012.