Assistant Professor - Computing & Information Science
Dr. Sid Chi-Kin CHAU is an assistant professor of Computing and Information Science at the Masdar Institute in Abu Dhabi, UAE. He researches in broad areas of networking, algorithms and systems, with a particular emphasis on a wide range of applications on sustainability. He is also affiliated with University of Cambridge as a visiting research fellow. The information about his research labs can be found at:
Previously, Sid was a scientist (senior research fellow) at A*STAR in Singapore, and a Croucher Foundation research fellow at University College London (awarded a research fellowship by the Croucher Foundation Hong Kong), and a post-doctoral research associate at University of Cambridge. He has conducted research work at various international institutes, such as IBM Watson Research Center (Hawthorne, US), BBN Technologies (Boston, US), University of Massachusetts (Amherst, US), the Institute of Theoretical Computer Science and Communications (at the Chinese University of Hong Kong), and Chinese Academy of Sciences (Shanghai, China).
Sid received his Ph.D. from University of Cambridge (supported by a scholarship from the Croucher Foundation Hong Kong) and B.Eng. (First-class Honours) from the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- Distributed Computer Systems Engineering
- Advanced Topics in Algorithms
Advisor to Current Masdar Institute Students
- Majid Mohammed Khonji (PhD)
- Muhammad Aftab (PhD)
- Chien-Ming Tseng (PhD)
- Yanan Xiao
- Haleimah Zeyoudi
- Mansoor Al Dosary
- Mohammad Habib Al Hashmi
Research Interest/Research Projects
- Algorithms and Optimization for Applications of Sustainability
- Networking and Computer Communications
- Information Infrastructure for Smart Grid, Smart Buildings and Smart Cities
- Embedded Systems for Vehicles
- Mobile Ad hoc Networks and Wireless Sensor Networks
- Chi-Kin Chau, Minghua Chen and Soung Chang Liew, “Capacity of Large-scale CSMA Wireless Networks”, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (ToN), Vol. 19, No. 3, pp893-906, Jun 2011.
- Chi-Kin Chau and Prithwish Basu, “Analysis of Latency of Stateless Opportunistic Forwarding in Intermittently Connected Networks”, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (ToN), Vol. 19, No. 4, pp1111-1124, Aug 2011.
- Chi-Kin Chau, “A Game-theoretical Study of Robust Networked Systems”, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (JSAC), Special Issue in Game Theory in Communication Systems, Vol. 26, No. 7, pp1250-1260, Sep 2008.