Associate Professor - Engineering Systems and Management
Phone number: +971 2 810 9156
Dr. Sgouris Sgouridis is an Associate Professor at Masdar Institute. His current research interests focuses on sociotechnical systems modeling including sustainable transportation systems and sustainable energy systems management. Dr. Sgouridis is Principal Investigator researching ‘Commercial Aviation in a Carbon-Constrained Future’ at Masdar Institute and he is co-leading the development of the Sustainable Bioresource Projects.
Prior to his role at Masdar Institute, Dr. Sgouridis worked at governmental and private organizations including the US Department of Transportation, the Port Authority of Thessaloniki and the Hellenic Army. He holds a PhD in Engineering Systems from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (2007), an MS in Technology and Policy from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (2005), and an MS in Transportation from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (2005). Dr. Sgouridis received the Martin Fellowship for Sustainability (2004-2005) and an award for Excellence in Academic Performance from the Chambers of Engineers (1998 and 1999).
- Sustainable Energy (UCC501. Spring 2010). Primary Instructor.
- Entrepreneurship in Renewable Energy (USC510. Fall 2009). Primary Co-instructor.
- Sustainable Energy (Spring 2008) MIT. Co-instructor.
- Frameworks and Models in Engineering Systems. (Spring 2006) MIT. TA.
- Engineering Systems Analysis. (Fall 2004). MIT. TA.
Advisor to current Masdar Institute students:
- Ahmad Essam Alozn (PhD)
- Denes Csala (PhD)
- Konstantinos Dimitropoulos
- Mohamed Ali Humaid Al Hadhrami
- Mohamed Yousif Rashid Al Sharhan
- Ghita Maria Alexandra Wallin
- Ioannis Kangas
- Natalia Lorena Zurita
- Layla Saleh
Research Interest/Research Projects
- Sustainable transportation systems
- Sustainable energy systems
- Socio-technical systems modeling
- Transition to low-energy society
Current Research Projects:
- ADFEC. Demand Response Experiment for MIST Phase 1A. Scott Kennedy, Sgouris Sgouridis (33%), Afshin Afshari. USD180.750. 01/09/2009-31/12/2010.
- Emirates Wildlife Society (EWS/WWF). Ecological Footprint Scenario Modeling for UAE Electricity Sector. Sgouris Sgouridis (50%), Scott Kennedy. USD155,653.66 (AED 571,875). 01/09/2009-15/03/2010.
- Masdar Institute. Sustainable Aviation Research. Sgouris Sgouridis, R. John Hansman (MIT). USD600,000. 15/11/2008-31/05/2010.
- Boeing. Sustainability Assessment of Halophyte Biojet Fuel. Sgouris Sgouridis, Scott Kennedy. USD102,789.80 (AED377,652). 01/10/2009-17/12/2009.
- Masdar Institute. Modeling of correlation between carbon markets and energy markets. Sgouris Sgouridis, Scott Kennedy, John Sitler.
- Application in Masdar City Transportation System.” Journal of Advanced Transportation, doi: 10.1002/atr.158
- Warshay, B., J. Pan, and S. Sgouridis. (2011) “Aviation Industry’s Quest for a Sustainable Fuel: Considerations of Scale and Modal Opportunity Carbon Benefit.” Biofuels. Volume 2, Number 1, January 2011 , pp. 33-58(26). doi: 10.4155/bfs.10.70
- Sgouridis, S. and S. Kennedy. (2010). “Tangible and fungible energy: Hybrid energy market and currency system for total energy management. A Masdar City case study.” Energy Policy Volume 38, Issue 4, April 2010, Pages 1749-1758, doi:10.1016/j.enpol.2009.11.049
- Sgouridis, S., P. Bonnefoy, and R. J. Hansman (2010). "Air transportation for a carbon constrained world: Long-term Dynamics of Policies and Strategies for Mitigating the Carbon Footprint of Commercial Aviation." Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice. doi:10.1016/j.tra.2010.03.019
- Mokhtar, M., M. T. Ali, S. Bräuniger, A. Afshari, S. Sgouridis, P. Armstrong and M. Chiesa. (2010) “Systematic comprehensive techno-economic assessment of solar cooling technologies using location-specific climate data” Applied Energy. doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2010.06.026
- Dikos, G., and S. Sgouridis (2008) “Double Hull Phase-In in the Maritime Industry: The Effects of Sunk Cost and Uncertainty.” International Journal of Ocean Systems Management 2008 - Vol. 1, No.1 pp. 100 - 117
- Sussman, J., S. Sgouridis, and J. Ward. (2005) “New Approach to Transportation Planning for the 21st Century: Regional Strategic Transportation Planning as a CLIOS Process,” Transportation Research Record 1931 (2005), National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- Sgouridis, S., D. Makris, and D. Angelides. (2003) “Simulation Analysis for Midterm Yard Planning in a Container Terminal.” Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal and Ocean Engineering, Vol. 129, No. 4, July/August.
Refereed Conference Papers & Proceedings
- Brimmo, A., O. Ogungbesan, A. Nwobi, and S. Sgouridis. (2013) ‘Sustainable Use Of Oil Palm Products As Biomass Energy Sources: The Case Of Nigeria.” International Conference on Applied Energy (ICAE). Pretoria, S. Africa.
- Rashid, K., F. Chowdhury, O. Qureshi, M. Yasin and S. Sgouridis. (2013) “Techno-Economic Analysis of Algal Biodiesel Production in UAE.” International Conference on Applied Energy (ICAE). Pretoria, S. Africa.
- Hutchins J., S. Sgouridis, and M. Chiesa (2011) “Extending the Economic Life of Onshore Petroleum Wells by Using Geothermal Fluid Electricity Co-production.” Geothermal Energy Utilization Associated with Oil & Gas Development Conference, SMU. June 14-16. Texas.
- Kar, R., P. Bonnefoy, R. J. Hansman, and S. Sgouridis (2011). “Assessment of the Fleet-wide Effects of Diffusion Dynamics of New Fuel Efficient Aircraft: Implications for Aircraft Manufacturer Strategies and Public Policy.” 90th Transportation Research Board Meeting. Washington DC. Paper #11-4293
- Lin, P. Y., A. Khalid, S. Kennedy and S. Sgouridis. (2010) “Sensitivity of CO2 Emissions to Renewable Energy Penetration for Regions Utilizing Power and Water Cogeneration.” 8th Global Conference on Sustainable Manufacturing.
- Morrison, J., P. Bonnefoy, R. J. Hansman, and S. Sgouridis (2010). “Investigation of the Impacts of Effective Fuel Cost Increase on the US Air Transportation Network and Fleet.” 10th Aviation, Technology, Integration, Operations Conference. American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics.
- Kar, R., P. Bonnefoy, R. J. Hansman, and S. Sgouridis (2009). “Dynamics of Implementation of Mitigating Measures to Reduce Commercial Aviation’s Environmental Impacts.” 9th Aviation, Technology, Integration, Operations Conference. American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics.
- Sgouridis, S.P., Angelides, D.C. (2002) “Simulation-based analysis of handling inbound containers in a terminal.” Proceedings of the 2002 Winter Simulation Conference
- Warshay, B., S. Sgouridis, and S. Kennedy (2010) Sustainability Assessment of Integrated Seawater Agriculture Systems for the Production of Biofuels: Potential for Implementation, Data Gaps, and Environmental Impact. Masdar Institute, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- Brown, N., and S. Sgouridis (2010) Modal Primer on Greenhouse Gas and Energy Issues for the Transportation Industry. Chapter 3 Air Transportation. Transportation Research Circular. Number E-C143 Climate Change Taskforce. Transportation Research Board, Washington DC.
- Hutchins J., S. Sgouridis, M. Chiesa, and A. Afshari (2012) “Methodology for Evaluating the Potential for Geothermal Use of Onshore Petroleum Wells.” To be submitted to Applied Energy
- Lin, P. Y., S. Kennedy and S. Sgouridis. (2012) “Water is not Free: a methodology for evaluating water policy in arid regions.” Under review at Energy Policy
- Sgouridis S. “Evaluation of Energy-Denominated Currency Policies under a Framework for Sustainable Energy Transitions.” (2012) Under review at Energy Policy.
- Sgouridis, S., J. Sussman, H. Weil, K. Bozdogan (2008). “Taming the Business Cycles in Commercial Aviation: Trade-space analysis of strategic policies across stakeholders using simulation modeling." ESD Working Paper Series
- Sgouridis, S., J. Sussman, C. Glazner (2006). “Characterizing Three Engineering Systems Methods for Supporting Regional Strategic Transportation Planning Applied to Freight Systems". ESD Working Paper Series
Non-refereed conference papers
- Sgouridis S. (2009) “Is the path to a sustainable future narrowing? A framework for evaluating the implications of the financial crisis on sustainability using historical precedent and system dynamics.” Presented in 15th International Sustainable Development Research Conference
- Sitler, J and S. Sgouridis. (2009) “Towards Comprehensive Greenhouse Gas Emissions Trading: An Analysis of Carbon and Fuel Price Correlation.” Presented in 15th International Sustainable Development Research Conference
Conference Presentations (Selected)
- Sgouridis, S. (2013). “Energy and Sustainable Development: why we need a Sustainable Energy Transition.” Invited. Harvard Project for Asian and International Relations. Dubai, UAE.
- Sgouridis, S. (2013). “The demand side: Steering the Energy Intensity of the Economy towards a Sustainable Transition.” Invited. Global Energy Systems Conference. Edinburgh, UK.
- Sgouridis, S. (2012). “Energy-Denominated Currencies a Viable Pathway for Sustainable Societal Transitions.” Invited. First International Societal Transformation Conference. Split, Croatia. July 10-12.
- Presentation at the EU-GCC Clean Energy Network Workshop. “Demand Response and Incentive Schemes Overview”. Brussels May 11 2011
- Sgouridis, S., (2011) Invited Lecture to World Biofuel Energy Markets Conference. “Saline Bioenergy Update: Lifecycle Potential of Integrated Seawater Agriculture Systems” Rotterdam, March 17, 2011
- Sgouridis, S., (2010) Invited Lecture to Sustainable Way for Alternative Fuel and Energy in Aviation (SWAFEA) 2nd Stakeholder Conference. “Saline Bioenergy: Potential of Integrated Seawater Agriculture Systems. UPDATE” Munich July 15, 2010
- Sgouridis, S., (2010) Invited Lecture to Business Aviation Conference. “Biofuel Potential for Business Aviation” Abu Dhabi, May 18, 2010
- Sgouridis, S., (2010) Invited Lecture to World Biofuel Energy Markets Conference. “Saline Bioenergy: Lifecycle Potential of Integrated Seawater Agriculture Systems” Amsterdam, March 17, 2010
- Sgouridis, S. Greenomics Conference. “Masdar Institute: Greening the UAE one mind at a time”. 03/10/2009. Dubai. Minister of Environment was present at the talk.
- Sgouridis, S., S. Griffiths, S. Kennedy, A. Khalid, and N. Zurita (2013). “A Sustainable Energy Transition Strategy For The United Arab Emirates: Evaluation Of Options Using An Integrated Energy Model.” Energy Strategy Reviews, Volume 2, Issue 1, June 2013, Pages 8–18. SPECIAL ISSUE: Strategy Options and Models for the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Energy Transition. doi:10.1016/j.esr.2013.03.002
- Yousef, L., W. al Yamani, S. Kennedy, S. Sgouridis (2013). “A Land Suitability study for the sustainable cultivation of the halophyte Salicornia bigelovii: the Case of Abu Dhabi, UAE”. Arid Land Research and Management. Volume 27, Issue 4, 2013. DOI:10.1080/15324982.2013.771230
- Morrison, J. K.D., R. J. Hansman and S. Sgouridis (2011). "Game Theory Analysis of the Impact of Single Aisle Aircraft Competition on Fleet Emissions." Journal of Aircraft. Vol. 49 no. 2 (483-494). doi: 10.2514/1.58040.
- Mokhtar, M., M. T. Ali, R. Khalilpour, A. Abbas, N. Shah, A. Al Hajaj, P. Armstrong, M. Chiesa, and S. Sgouridis. (2011) "Solar-assisted Post-combustion Carbon Capture feasibility study." Applied Energy. doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2011.07.032
- Kennedy, S. and S. Sgouridis. (2011) “Rigorous Classification and Carbon Accounting Principles for Low- and Zero-carbon Cities.” Energy Policy. doi:10.1016/j.enpol.2011.05.038
- Mueller, K., and S. Sgouridis (2011) “Simulation-based Analysis of Personal Rapid Transit System