Assistant Professor - Electrical Engineering
Phone number: +971 2 810 9217
Dr. Mohamed Shawky received his BSc and MSc degrees in Electrical Engineering from Mansoura University, Egypt, in 1997 and 2002 respectively. He received his PhD degree in Electrical Engineering from the University of New Brunswick (UNB), New Brunswick, Canada, in 2005. Dr. Shawky has worked as a designer engineer for photovoltaic systems (1997- 1998) for an agent of Siemens (ASET Company). He joined Mansoura University as a research and teaching assistant in the Electrical Engineering Department and was involved in consultant activities with external companies (1998-2002). Dr. Shawky has also worked as a research and teaching assistant in the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department at the UNB, Canada (2002-2005). He joined McGill University as a postdoctoral fellow in the power electronics group.
Dr. Shawky joined Vestas Wind Systems in 2006, where he worked in technology R&D in the Wind Power Plant Group, Arhus, Denmark, till 2009. He later worked at Abu Dhabi Water and Electricity Authority, TRANSCO, as senior study and planning engineer and was seconded to assistant professor at Mansoura University. He is currently assistant professor in the Electrical Power Engineering Program at Masdar Institute and visiting professor at MIT.
He was awarded the Expert and Key Employee benefits in Denmark after assessment and evaluation from the Danish Innovation Counsel and recommendation from Vestas Wind Systems A/S. Also, he was conferred the Faculty Award for Excellence in Collaborative Research (Academic Year 2012-2013) in recognition of research achievements as interdisciplinary faculty at Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
Dr. Shawky’s research involves power systems, power electronics, FACTS technologies, system control, wind turbine modeling, wind energy integration and interconnections.
Dr. Shawky’s current research interests include power systems, power electronics, FACTS technologies, micro-grid design and control, power system modeling and control, wind turbine development and integration of large scale renewable energy systems (wind and photovoltaic).
- Electric Machine Course (EPE506)
- Power System Modeling and Control (EPE601)
- Energy Conversion Course (FDN456)
Advisor to Current Masdar Institute Students:
- Surour Al Araifi (PhD)
- Ahmad Tahboub (PhD)
- Wind turbine / parks design and configuration Development
- Control strategies for grid interface of large scale renewable energy sources (Wind/PV)
- Power electronics, FACTS technologies and their applications in power system and renewable energy systems
- Grid interface topologies for transmission level interconnection
- Super-grid with HVDC interconnection
- Security and stability of the transmission/distribution networks
- Micro grid design, operation and control
- Power system modeling and control
- Simulation models development (RMS, dynamic and EMT) for power system and renewable energy sources
Current Research Project(s):
- “Novel Control Strategies for Smart Grid Interface with High Penetration of Wind Power Generation”
PIs: M. S. El Moursi and J. Kirtley; MIT-Masdar Institute collaborative research http://web.mit.edu/mit-mi-cp/research/projects/power04.html
- “Coordinated Power Management Strategy for Hybrid Micro Grid with Islanded Capability”
PI: Dr. Mohamed Shawky, Co-PIs: Dr. Scott Kennedy, Dr. Vinod Khadkikar and Dr. Weidong Xiao; Funded by Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI), www.gggi,org http://www.masdar.ac.ae/inc/7/details.php?type=news&id=314
- Flagship project entitled ” Information and Decision Architectures for Robustness, Resilience, and Risk Mitigation in Power Grids”
PIs at MI: Dr. Jacob Crandall, Dr. Mohamed Elmoursi, Dr. Vinod Khadkikar and Dr. Khaled ElBassioni
PIs at MIT: Dr. Munther Dahleh, Dr. Mardavij Roozbehani, Dr. Asuman Ozdaglar, and Dr. Konstantin Turitsyn
- M. S. El Moursi , K. Goweily , J. L. Kirtley Jr., M. Abdel-Rahman " Application of Series Voltage Boosting Schemes for Enhanced Fault Ride Through Performance of Fixed Speed Wind Turbine” IEEE Transaction on Power Delivery, accepted for publicatioin in October 2013.
- Khaled. A. Alobaidli and M. S. El Moursi ”A Novel Coordinated Secondary Voltage Control Strategy for Efficient Utilization of Distributed Generations” IET Renewable Power Generation, accepted for publication in October 2013.
- Mazheruddin H. Syed, H. H. Zeineldin and M. S. El Moursi” Hybrid Micro-grid Operation Characterization Considering Grid Codes” IET Generation, Transmission and Distribution, , accepted for publication in Sept. 2013.
- P.-H. Huang, M. S. El Moursi, W. Xiao, and J. Kirtley, “Fault Ride Through Configuration and Transient Management Scheme for Self-Excited Induction Generator based Wind Turbine,” IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, August 2013 (in press).
- Alaraifi S, El Moursi, M. S., H. H. Zeineldin “Optimal Allocation of HTS-FCL for Power System Security and Stability Enhancement” IEEE Transaction on Power System, July 2013 (In press).
- Alaraifi S, Moawwad A, El Moursi, M. S. and Khadkikar V, “Voltage booster schemes for fault ride through enhancement of variable speed wind turbines”, IEEE Tranaction on Sustainable Energy, May 2013 (in press).
- El Moursi, M. S. and R. Hegazi “Novel Technique for Reducing the High Fault Currents and Enhancing the Security of ADWEA Power System” IEEE Transaction on Power System, Vol. 28, no. 1, pp.140 - 148, Feb. 2013.
- Po-Hsu Huang, El Moursi, M. S., Weidong Xiao and L. Kirtley Jr. “Novel Fault Rider Configuration and Transient Management Scheme for Doubly Fed Induction Generator” IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 86-94, Mar. 2013.
- El Moursi, M. S. , W. Xiao, and J. L. Kirtley Jr “Fault Ride Through Capability for Grid Interfacing Large Scale PV Power Plants” IET Generation, Transmission and Distribution, April 2013 (inpress).
- El Moursi, M. S. , Khaled Goweily, and Ebrahim A. Badran” Enhanced Fault Ride Through Performance of the SEIG Based Wind Park during Unbalanced Grid Operation” IET Power Electronics, May 2013 (inpress).
- El-Moursi, M. S., '' Mitigating subsynchronous resonance and damping power system oscillation in a series compensated wind park using a novel static synchronous series compensator control algorithm'' Wind Energy, Vol.15, no.3, pp 363-377, April 2012.
- El-Moursi, M. S. , Mansour H. Abdel-Rahman and Birgitte Bak-Jensen '' Coordinated Voltage Control Scheme for SEIG-Based Wind Park Utilizing Substation STATCOM and ULTC Transformer '' IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, Vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 246-255, July 2011.
- El-Moursi, M. S. , "Fault Ride Through capability enhancement for self-excited induction generator-based wind park by installing fault current limiters" in Proc. IET Renewable Power Generation, vol. 5, no.4, pp. 269 – 280, July 2011.
- El-Moursi, M. S. “A novel line drop secondary voltage control algorithm for variable speed wind turbines" Wind Energy, Vol. 13, Issue 7, October 2010
- El-Moursi, M. S. , Mansour H. Abdel-Rahman and Birgitte Bak-Jensen '' Novel STATCOM Controller for Mitigating SSR and Damping Power System Oscillations in a Series Compensated Wind Parks'' IEEE Transactions on power Electronics, Vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 429 - 441, Feb. 2010.
- El-Moursi,M.S., Geza Joos “Optimal Tracking Secondary Voltage Control for the DFIG Wind Turbines and compensator devices” Electric Power Systems Research, Volume 79, Issue 12, pp. 1705-1716, December 2009.
- El-Moursi, M. S. , Geza Joos, Chad Abbey “A Secondary Voltage Control Strategies for Transmission Level Interconnection of Wind Generation” IEEE Transactions on power Electronics, vol. 23, no. 3, May 2008, pp. 1178-1190.
- El-Moursi,M.S., A. M. Sharaf, Khalil El-Arroudi “Optimal Control Schemes for SSSC for Dynamic Series Compensation” Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 78, Issue 4, April 2008, Pages 646-656.
- El-Moursi, M. S., Joos G., Abbey C. “High-Performance Secondary Voltage Control Scheme for Wind Park Integration “ in Proc. IET Renewable Power Generation , vol. 1, no.3, pp. 151 – 159, Sept. 2007.
- El Moursi, M. S. "Automatic Gain Controller for Variable Speed Wind Turbines," International Journal of Emerging Electric Power Systems, vol. 9, no. 1, Article 1, 2008.
- El-Moursi, M. S., A.M. Sharaf “Novel Reactive Power Controllers for the STATCOM and SSSC" Electric Power System Research, Vol. 76, Issue 4, January 2006, Pages 228-241.
- El-Moursi, M. S., A.M. Sharaf “Novel STATCOM Controllers for Voltage Stabilization of Wind Energy Scheme" International Journal of Global Energy Issues 2006-Vol. 26, No.3/4 pp.382-400.
- El-Moursi, M. S., A.M. Sharaf ”Novel FACTS Controllers for Voltage Stabilization of Standalone Hybrid (Wind /Small Hydro) Schemes” International Journal of Emerging Electric Power Systems, vol.7, no.3, Article 5, Sept. 2006.
- El-Moursi, M. S., A.M. Sharaf " Novel Controllers for the 48-Pulse VSC STATCOM and SSSC for Voltage Regulation and Reactive Power Compensation” IEEE Transaction on Power System, Vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 1985-1997, Nov. 2005.