Lina F. Yousef is an Assistant Professor with the Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering at Masdar Institute of Science and Technology in Abu Dhabi. She received her BSc and MSc degrees in Biology from the University of Western Ontario in Canada, and a PhD in Soil Science from the Ohio State University in the US.
Prior to becoming an assistant professor at Masdar Institute, Dr. Yousef was a scientist with the Sustainable Bioenergy Research Consortium at the Institute and was involved in mitigating risks associated with establishment of seawater based agricultural systems in Abu Dhabi for bioenergy crop cultivation. She also spent one year as a visiting scholar at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) as part of the MIT-MI Technology and Development Program.
Dr. Yousef’s research interests are related to plant and soil. To learn more visit www.lfy-group.com
- WEN520: Microbiology for environmental and bioprocess engineering
- WEN615: Soil investigations: chemistry and biology as indicators of quality
Advisor to Current Masdar Institute Students:
- Mona Al Marzooqi, MSc student 2017
- Saeed Al Khoori, MSc student 2017
- Samar Al-Jitan, MSc student 2017
- Characterization of bioactive secondary metabolites in native plants
- land suitability analysis & transformation of organic waste to valuable products for soil
- Isolation of soilborne fungi and protein characterization
- Al-Hosani S, Oudah M.M., Henschel A., Yousef, L.F. (2015). Global transcriptome analysis of salt acclimated Prochlorococcus AS9601. Microbiological Research In Press doi:10.1016/j.micres.2015.04.006
- Jouaid, M., Al-Nofeli, N., Khalifa, N., Benyettou, F., Yousef, L.F. (2015). Characteristics of slow pyrolysis biochars produced from rhodes grass and fronds of edible date palm. Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis 111; 183-190.
- Alsheikh-Hussain A., Al Tenaiji, E., Yousef, L.F. (2014). Fungal cellulases from mangrove forests – a short review. Journal of Biochemical Technology 5(3):765-774. ISSN: 0974-2328.
- Al Yamani W., Kennedy S., Sgouridis S., and Yousef, L.F. (2013). A Land Suitability Study for the Sustainable Cultivation of the Halophyte Salicornia bigelovii: The Case of Abu Dhabi, UAE. Arid Land Research and Management 27; 349-360.
- Yousef L.F., Wojno M., Dick W.A., Dick, R.P. (2012). Lipid profiling of the soybean pathogen Phytophthora sojae using Fatty Acid Methyl Esters (FAME). Fungal Biology 116, 613-619.
- Yousef L.F, Dick, W.A., Dick R.P. (2011). Use of a 15N-tracer method as a tool to indicate the assimilation of Elicitin-Sterol complexes by Phytophthora sojae. International Journal of Biology 3,119-127
- Yousef L.F, Yousef A.F., Mymryk J.S., Dick, W.A., Richard, R.P. (2009). Stigmasterol and Cholesterol Regulate the Expression of Elicitin Genes in Phytophthora sojae. Journal of Chemical Ecology 35,824-832.
- Yousef L.F and Bernards, M.A. (2006). In vitro metabolism of ginsenosides by the ginseng root pathogen Pythium irregulare. Phytochemistry 67, 1740-1749.
- Bernards, M.A., Yousef, L.F. and Nicol, R.W. (2006) The allelopathic potential of ginsenosides. In: Allelochemicals: Biological Control of Plant Pathogens and Diseases (Inderjit and Mukerji, K.G., Eds). Springer Dordrecht The Netherlands. Pp. 157-175.
- Nicol, R.W., Yousef, L.F., Traquair, J.A. and Bernards, M.A. (2003). Ginsenosides stimulate the growth of soilborne pathogens of American ginseng. Phytochemistry 64, 257-264.