Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Associate Professor - Microsystems Engineering
Phone number: +971 2 810 9213
Dr. Jerald Yoo received his BSc, MSc and PhD degrees in the Department of Electrical Engineering from the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), Daejeon, Korea, in 2002, 2007 and 2010, respectively. He is currently an Associate Professor at Masdar Institute.
As a chief researcher at the Semiconductor System Laboratory in KAIST, Dr. Yoo developed low-energy Body Area Network (BAN) transceivers and wirelessly powered wearable sensors. His extensive research on Planar-Fabric Circuit Board (P-FCB) and the related circuits has opened the door for wearable, continuous health monitoring system. He also developed an embedded processor for Phase-Change Random Access Memory (PRAM). Dr. Yoo’s areas of expertise include advanced low energy circuit technology for wearable bio signal sensors, SoC design to system realization for wearable healthcare applications and energy-efficient circuit techniques and its chip implementation.
- Digital Systems Lab
- Analysis and design of digital integrated circuits
- Microelectronic circuits and systems design
- VLSI design
- Application-driven system-on-chip implementation
Advisor to current Masdar Institute students:
- Chen Zhang
- Muhammad Sulman Baig
- Abdulfattaahi K. Raji
- Wala Salem Mustafa Saadeh (PhD)
Research Interest/Research Projects
- Low energy wearable body area network application and its transceiver
- Wireless power and data transmission
- Wireless power transmission
- Low-power biomedical microsystem
Current research project:
- Energy-Efficient Wearable Sensor with Body Area Network.
- Ultra Low Energy Body Area Network Transceiver for Wearable Healthcare (SRC/ACE4S)
- Analysis and Strategy of Yield Improvement in 3D IC Integration (ATIC/TwinLabs with TU Dresden)
- On-cell Maximum Power Point Tracking and Voltage Boosting for Photovoltaic
- Jerald Yoo, Long Yan, Dina El-Damak, Ali H. Shoeb, and Anantha P. Chandrakasan, "An 8-channel Scalable EEG Acquisition SoC with Patient-Specific Seizure Classification and Recording Processor", IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits (JSSC), pp. 214-228, vol. 48, no. 1, Jan. 2013.
- Muhammad Awais Bin Altaf, Judyta Tillak, Yonatan Kifle, and Jerald Yoo, "A 1.83uJ/Classification Nonlinear Support-Vector Machine-Based Patient-Specific Seizure Classification SoC" IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference (ISSCC) Dig. Tech. Papers, pp. 100-101, Vol. 56, Feb. 2013.
- Nachiket V. Desai, Jerald Yoo, and Anantha P. Chandrakasan "A Scalable 2.9mW 1Mb/s eTextiles Body Area Network Transceiver with Remotely Powered Sensors and Bi-Directional Data Communication" IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference (ISSCC)Dig. Tech. Papers, pp. 206-207, Vol. 56, Feb. 2013.
- Jerald Yoo, Long Yan, Seulki Lee, Yongsang Kim, and Hoi-Jun Yoo, “A 5.2 mW Self-Configured Wearable Body Sensor Network Controller and a 12 μW Wirelessly Powered Sensor for a Continuous Health Monitoring System”, IEEE Journal of Solid State Circuits (JSSC), Vol. 45, No. 1, pp. 178-188, 2010.
Go to Jerald Yoo’s profile for more information