Associate Professor - Microsystems Engineering
Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Phone number: +971 2 810 9213
Dr. Jerald Yoo received his BSc, MSc and PhD degrees in the Department of Electrical Engineering from the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), Daejeon, Korea, in 2002, 2007 and 2010, respectively. He is currently an associate professor at Masdar Institute.
As a chief researcher at the Semiconductor System Laboratory in KAIST, Dr. Yoo developed low-energy Body Area Network (BAN) transceivers and wirelessly powered wearable sensors. His extensive research on Planar-Fabric Circuit Board (P-FCB) and the related circuits has opened the door for wearable, continuous health monitoring system. He also developed an embedded processor for Phase-Change Random Access Memory (PRAM).
Dr. Yoo’s areas of expertise include advanced low energy circuit technology for wearable bio signal sensors, SoC design to system realization for wearable healthcare applications and energy-efficient circuit techniques and its chip implementation. He is also a senior member of the IEEE.
- MIC502: Digital Systems Lab
- MIC610: Analysis and Design of Digital Integrated Circuits
- MIC614: Low Energy Biomedical Circuits and Systems
- MIC615: Computer Architecture
- Application-driven system-on-chip implementation
Advisor to current Masdar Institute students:
- Muhammad Awais Bin Altaf (PhD)
- Judyta Tillak (PhD)
- Wala Saadeh (PhD)
- Nimesh Shah (MSc)
- Haneen Alsuradi (MSc)
- Ljubomir Radakovic (MSc)
Research Interest/Research Projects
- Low energy wearable body area network application and its transceiver
- Wireless power and data transmission
- Wireless power transmission
- Low-power biomedical microsystem
Current research project:
- Energy-Efficient Wearable Sensor with Body Area Network (SRC /MEES-III, 2015-2017)
- Patch Form-Factor PoC (Abu Dhabi Technology Development Committee, 2015-2016)
- Multi-Channel pMUT ASICS for Gesture Recognition and Medical Diagnostics (GlobalFoundries/MI-IME Singapore TwinLabs (2013-2016)
- Ultra Low Energy Body Area Network Transceiver for Wearable Healthcare (SRC /ACE4S, 2013-2016)
- Analysis and Strategy of Yield Improvement in 3D IC Integration (Mubadala Technologies, 2012-2015)
- Muhammad Awais Bin Altaf, Chen Zhang, and Jerald Yoo, "A 16-Channel Patient-Specific Seizure Onset and Termination Detection SoC with Machine-Learning and Voltage-Mode Transcranial Stimulation," IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference (ISSCC) , Feb. 2015 (Accepted 21.8).
- Wala Saadeh, Yonatan Kifle and Jerald Yoo, "A Hybrid OFDM Body Coupled Communication Transceiver for Binaural Hearing Aids in 65nm CMOS," IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS) ,May 2015 (Accepted).
- Judyta Tilla and Jerald Yoo, "A 23uW Digitally Controlled pMUT Interface Circuit for Doppler Ultrasound Imaging," IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS) , May 2015 (Accepted).
- Muhammad Awais Bin Altaf and Jerald Yoo, "A 1.83uJ/classification, 8-Channel, Patient-Specific Epileptic Seizure Classification SoC using a Non-Linear Support Vector Machine" IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Circuits and Systems (TBioCAS), accepted for publication.
- Jerald Yoo, Long Yan, Dina El-Damak, Ali H. Shoeb, and Anantha P. Chandrakasan, "An 8-channel Scalable EEG Acquisition SoC with Patient-Specific Seizure Classification and Recording Processor", IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits (JSSC), pp. 214-228, vol. 48, no. 1, Jan. 2013.
- Muhammad Awais Bin Altaf, Judyta Tillak, Yonatan Kifle, and Jerald Yoo, "A 1.83uJ/Classification Nonlinear Support-Vector Machine-Based Patient-Specific Seizure Classification SoC" IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference (ISSCC) Dig. Tech. Papers, pp. 100-101, Vol. 56, Feb. 2013.
Go to Jerald Yoo’s profile for more information