Professor - Microsystems Engineering
Dr. Elfadel has 15 years of industrial experience in the research, development and deployment of advanced computer-aided design (CAD) tools and methodologies for deep-submicron, high-performance digital designs. Most recently, he played a key role in the development and deployment of IBM’s next-generation layout verification tools for the ultra-deep submicron CMOS technology nodes. Dr. Elfadel is the recipient of six Invention Achievement Awards, an Outstanding Technical Achievement Award and a Research Division Award, all from IBM, for his contributions in the area of VLSI CAD. He is currently serving as an Associate Editor for the IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design for Integrated Circuits and Systems.
Dr. Elfadel received his MS in 1986 and his PhD in 1993, both from MIT
- Computer-Aided Design for Integrated Circuits and Systems
- Digital Systems
- Digital Signal and Image Processing
- Engineering and Computational Electromagnetics
Advisor to Current Masdar Institute Students
- Rupesh Karn
- Shahzad Muzaffar
- Mohammed Shemsu Nesro
- Owais Talaat Waheed
- Wajih Umar Syed (PhD)
- Computer-aided design tools and methodologies for nano-scale integrated circuits and systems with emphasis on variation-aware, low-power designs
- Technology CAD and compact modeling of emerging device and interconnect technologies with particular emphasis on multi-physics, layout-aware characterization.
- CAD tools and methodologies for CMOS-based MEMS and photonics integration.
- Fast, high-accuracy algorithms for 3D multi-domain parameter extraction and simulation
- T. A. El-Moselhy, I. M. Elfadel, and L. Daniel, "A Markov Chain Based Hierarchical Algorithm for Fabric-Aware Capacitance Extraction,” IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 818 – 827, Nov 2010
- Elfadel, I.~M., “Convergence of Transverse Waveform Relaxation for the Electrical Analysis of very Wide On-chip Transmission Line Buses,'' IEEE Transactions on Computer Aided Design, vol. 28, pp. 1150 - 1161, Aug 2009.
- Mittelholzer, T., Franceschini, M., Lastras, L., Elfadel, I. M., Sharma, M., “Rewritable Channels with Data Dependent Noise,” IEEE International Conference on Communications, pp. 1-6, Dresden, Germany, Jun 2009.