Phone: +971 2 810 9124
Dr. Hosni Ghedira received his MSc degree in Civil and Environmental Engineering from the University of Sherbrooke (Canada) and his PhD in Water Sciences from the University of Quebec (Canada) in 1997 and 2001, respectively.
He joined Masdar Institute in 2010 and is its Chemical and Environmental Department head, director of its Research Center for Renewable Energy Mapping and Assessment (ReCREMA) and an associate professor in the Water and Environmental Engineering Program.
Before moving to the UAE, Dr. Ghedira spent six years at the City University of New York as assistant professor and research associate professor. He also acted as director of the Environmental Remote Sensing and Image Processing Laboratory at the NOAA Cooperative Remote Sensing Science & Technology Center (NOAA-CREST) in New York from 2003 to 2008.
In his capacity as director of the Research Center for Renewable Energy Mapping and Assessment (ReCREMA) at Masdar Institute, Dr. Ghedira has lead the effort to develop regional knowledge and leadership in renewable energy assessment and mapping for the Arabian Peninsula and countries with similar climate through partnership with regional and international partners. ReCREMA is now recognized as international leader in solar resource assessment in arid and dusty environments. Dr. Ghedira is an active member in several regional and international working groups in the field of clean energy policies and renewable energy strategies. He has authored and co-authored more than 120 publications in peer-reviewed journals and referred conference proceedings. He has also supervised more than twenty PhD and MSc theses in the USA and the UAE.
- Environmental Remote Sensing and Satellite Image Processing
- Introduction to Water Resources
Advisor to current Masdar Institute students:
- Maryam Al Shehhi (PhD)
- Mussie Naizghi
- Rahma Al Hashemi
- Haifa Ben Romdhane (PhD)
- Muna Al Kaabi (PhD)
Research Interest/Research Projects
- Application of remote sensing in environmental monitoring;
- Solar resource assessment and monitoring;
- Water resources management in water-scarce regions;
- Satellite image processing;
- Remote sensing algorithm development.
- Alobaidi, M.,Marpu, P., Ouarda,T., Ghedira, H., Mapping of the Solar Irradiance in the UAE Using Advanced Artificial Neural Network Ensemble, IEEE Journal of applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, Vol.PP, Issue 99, pp.1-13, July 2014.
- Al Shehhi, M.R., Gherboudj, I., Ghedira, H., An overview of historical harmful algae blooms outbreaks in the Arabian Seas. Marine Pollution Bulletin. Volume 86, Issues 1–2, Pages 314–324.
- Zhao, J., Temimi, M., Ghedira H., Hu, C. Exploring the potential of optical remote sensing for oil spill detection in shallow coastal waters-a case study in the Arabian Gulf. Optics Express, Vol. 22, Issue 11, pp. 13755-13772 (2014).
- Zhao, J., Ghedira, H., Monitoring red tide with satellite imagery and numerical models: A case study in the Arabian Gulf. Marine pollution bulletin. Volume 79, Issue 1, Pages 305–313.
- Gherboudj, I., Ghedira, H., Spatiotemporal assessment of dust loading over the United Arab Emirates, Int. J. Climatol. doi: 10.1002/joc.3909.
- M. Lazzarini, P. Marpu, Y. Eissa, H. Ghedira, Toward a Near Real-Time Product of Air Temperature Maps from Satellite Data and In Situ Measurements in Arid Environments, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, Vol. PP , Issue 99, May 2014.
- Lazzarini, M., Ghedira, H., Assimilation of Earth Observation Variables and In Situ Measurements in a Surface Energy Balance Model: A Case Study of a Desert City Area, IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, vol. 11, n 1, pp 366 – 370, Jan 2014.
- Parajuli, S., Gherboudj, I., Ghedira H., The effect of soil moisture and wind speed on aerosol optical thickness retrieval in a desert environment using SEVIRI thermal channels, International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 34, Issue 14, pp 5054-5071, 2013.
- Eissa, Y., Marpu, P., Gherboudj, I., Ghedira, H., Ouarda, T., and Chiesa, M., Artificial neural network based model for retrieval of the direct normal, diffuse horizontal and global horizontal irradiances using SEVIRI images, Solar Energy, vol. 89, pp 1–16, 2013.
- Lazzarini, M., Marpu, P., and Ghedira, H., Temperature-land cover interactions: the inversion of Urban Heat Island phenomenon in desert city areas, Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 130, pp 136-152, 2013.
- Eissa, Y., Chiesa, M., Ghedira, H., Assessment and recalibration of the Heliosat-2 method in global horizontal irradiance modeling over the desert environment of the UAE, Solar Energy, vol. 86, pp 1816-1825, 2012.
- Jayyousi, M., Estima, J., Ghedira., Spatial Multi Criteria Decision Analysis Based Assessment of Land Value in Abu Dhabi UAE, Springer International Publishing, Vol.180, pp. 120-127 (2014).