Associate Professor - Electrical Power Engineering
Phone number: +971 2 810 9122
Dr. Hatem Zeineldin received his Bachelor and Master degree in Electrical Power and Machines from Cairo University in 1999, and 2002, respectively. He obtained his Phd degree in 2006 from the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department at University of Waterloo. In 2006, he joined Smith and Andersen Electrical Inc. as an electrical engineer where he was involved in several projects related to distributed generation. During that period of time Dr. Zeineldin was also hired as a research consultant for a research project that was funded by Natural Resources Canada that focused on protection planning with renewable energy sources. In 2007, Dr. Zeineldin worked as a visiting professor at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) where he focused on developing new methods for islanding detection of renewable energy sources.
In 2007, Dr. Zeineldin joined Masdar Institute and is currently an Associate professor in the Electrical Power Program. Dr. Zeineldin is the recipient of a couple of awards including University of Waterloo President’s Graduate Scholarship, Ontario Graduate Scholarship and Faculty of Engineering Scholarship. Dr. Zeineldin’s main research interests include distribution system protection, islanding detection, micro-grids and smart grid design.
- Distributed Generation technology
- Power System Analysis
- Engineering Mathematics
Advisor to current Masdar Institute students/Post Doctorates:
- Dima Imad Mohd Kayyali
- Lukasz Huchel
- Khaled Ahmed Hamed Shaker Saleh
- Sultan Saeed Al Kaabi (PhD)
- Iraklis Nikolakakos (PhD)
Research Interest/Research Projects
- Impacts of distributed generation on power system protection
- Micro-grid and smart grid design and control
- Islanding Detection of inverter and synchronous based DG.
- Protection coordination with embedded distributed generation sources.
- Capacity planning with renewable energy sources.
- Distribution system reliability
- Modeling of distributed energy sources.
- Distribution system stability with distributed generation.
For more information, please visit the group website
Current Research Projects
- Applications of Energy Storage Systems for Power Systems with Integrated Renewable Energy Sources (in collaboration with Prof. Jim Kirtley, MIT)
- Optimal Harmonic Power Flow for Grid-connected Photovoltaic Systems to Increase Penetration Levels (in collaboration with Prof. Weidong Xiao, EPE program, Masdar Institute)
- Impacts Analysis and Mitigation Techniques for Grid-connected Renewable Energy (in collaboration with Prof. Chul-Hwan Kim, Sungkyunkwan University, Korea)
- Fault Detection and Classification for Smart Grids with Islanded Capability (in collaboration with Prof. Wei Lee Woon, CIS program, Masdar Institute)
Selected Journal Publications
- H. Zeineldin, E. El-Saadany, and M. Salama, Impact of DG Interface Control on Islanding Detection and Nondetective Zones, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Volume 21, Issue 3, July 2006 Page(s):1515 - 1523.
- H. Zeineldin, A Q-f Droop Curve for Facilitating Islanding Detection of Inverter Based Distributed Generation, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 24, pp.665-673, March 2008.
- H. Zeineldin, and J. Kirtley, A Simple Technique for Islanding Detection with Negligible Non-Detection Zone, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 24, pp.779-778, April 2009.
- H. Zeineldin, and J. Kirtley, Performance of the OVP/UVP and OFP/UFP method with Voltage and Frequency Dependent Loads, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 24, pp.772-778, April 2009.
- H. H. Zeineldin, and S. Kennedy, “Sandia Frequency Shift Parameter Selection to Eliminate Non-detection Zones”, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 24, Issue 1, pp. 486-487, Jan. 2009.
- H. H. Zeineldin, M. M. A. Salama, “Impact of Load Frequency Dependence on the NDZ and Performance of the SFS Islanding Detection Method," IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, pp. 139-146, 2011.
- A. Alaboudy, and H. Zeineldin, “Improved Anti-Islanding Technique for Inverter-Based DGs Coupled with Frequency Dependent Static Loads”, IEEE Transaction on Power Delivery, pp. 1053-1063, 2011.
- H. Zeineldin, E. El-Saadany, and M. Salama, A. Kasem and W. Woon “Optimal Sizing of Thyristor Controlled Impedance for Smart Grids with Multiple Configurations”, IEEE Transactions on Smart grids, pp. 528-537, 2011.
- Y. A. Mohamed, H. H. Zeineldin, M. M. A. Salama, R. R. Seethapathy, "Seamless Formation and Robust Control of Distributed Generation Microgrids via Direct Voltage Control and Optimized Dynamic Power Sharing," , IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol.27, no.3, pp.1283-1294, March 2012.
- W.K.A. Najy, H.H. Zeineldin, A.H.K. Alaboudy, Wei Lee Woon “A Bayesian Passive Islanding Detection Method for Inverter-Based Distributed Generation Using ESPRIT," Power Delivery, IEEE Transactions on , vol.26, no.4, pp.2687-2696, Oct. 2011.
- Y. Mahmoud, W. Xiao, H.H. Zeineldin "A Simple Approach to Modeling and Simulation of Photovoltaic Modules," Sustainable Energy, IEEE Transactions on, vol.3, no.1, pp.185-186, Jan. 2012.
- A.H. Kasem Alaboudy, H.H. Zeineldin, J.L. Kirtley "Microgrid Stability Characterization Subsequent to Fault-Triggered Islanding Incidents," Power Delivery, IEEE Transactions on , vol.27, no.2, pp.658-669, April 2012.
- W. Najy, H. Zeineldin, W. Woon "Optimal Protection Coordination for Microgrids with Grid-Connected and Islanded Capability," Industrial Electronics, IEEE Transactions on , vol.PP, no.99, pp.1, 0.
- S. Conti, R. Nicolosi, S. Rizzo, H. Zeineldin, "Optimal Dispactiching of Distributed Generators and Storage Systems for MV Islanded Micro-Grids", accepted for publication in the IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, 2012.
- R. Pandi, H. Zeineldin and W. Xiao, "Determining Optimal Location and Size of Distributed Generation Resources Considering Harmonic and Protection Coordination Limits" , accepted for publication in the IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, July 2012.
- Y. Mahmoud, W. Xiao and H. Zeineldin, "A Parameterization Approach for Enhancing PV Model Accuracy" accepted for publication in IEEE Transaction on Industrial Electronics, Nov 2012
- P. Kanjiya, V. Khadkikar, and H. Zeineldin, "A Non-Iterative Optimized Algorithm for Shunt Active Power Filter under Distorted and Unbalanced Supply Voltages", accepted for publication in IEEE Transaction on Industrial Electronics, Dec 2012.
E. Casagrande, W. Woon, H. Zeneldin, D. Svetinovic, “A Differential Sequence Component Protection Scheme for Microgrids with Inverter-based Distributed Generators”, accepted for publication in IEEE Transaction on Smart Grids, 2013.