Associate Professor - Electrical Power Engineering
Phone number: +971 2 810 9122
Dr. Hatem Zeineldin received his Bachelor and Master degree in Electrical Power and Machines from Cairo University in 1999, and 2002, respectively. He obtained his Phd degree in 2006 from the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department at University of Waterloo. In 2006, he joined Smith and Andersen Electrical Inc. as an electrical engineer where he was involved in several projects related to distributed generation. During that period of time Dr. Zeineldin was also hired as a research consultant for a research project that was funded by Natural Resources Canada that focused on protection planning with renewable energy sources. In 2007, Dr. Zeineldin worked as a visiting professor at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) where he focused on developing new methods for islanding detection of renewable energy sources.
In 2007, Dr. Zeineldin joined Masdar Institute and is currently an Associate professor in the Electrical Power Program. Dr. Zeineldin is the recipient of a couple of awards including University of Waterloo President’s Graduate Scholarship, Ontario Graduate Scholarship and Faculty of Engineering Scholarship. Dr. Zeineldin’s main research interests include distribution system protection, islanding detection, micro-grids and smart grid design.
Dr. Zeineldin is currently an editor of the IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion.
- Distributed Generation technology
- Power System Analysis
- Engineering Mathematics
Advisor to current Masdar Institute students/Post Doctorates:
- Dima Imad Mohd Kayyali
- Lukasz Huchel
- Khaled Ahmed Hamed Shaker Saleh
- Dina Masri
- Faisal Mumtaz
- Sultan Saeed Al Kaabi (PhD)
- Iraklis Nikolakakos (PhD)
Research Interest/Research Projects
- Impacts of distributed generation on power system protection
- Micro-grid and smart grid design and control
- Islanding Detection of inverter and synchronous based DG.
- Protection coordination with embedded distributed generation sources.
- Capacity planning with renewable energy sources.
- Distribution system reliability
- Modeling of distributed energy sources.
- Distribution system stability with distributed generation.
For more information, please visit the group website
Current Research Projects
- Applications of Energy Storage Systems for Power Systems with Integrated Renewable Energy Sources (in collaboration with Prof. Jim Kirtley, MIT)
- Optimal Harmonic Power Flow for Grid-connected Photovoltaic Systems to Increase Penetration Levels (in collaboration with Prof. Weidong Xiao, EPE program, Masdar Institute)
- Impacts Analysis and Mitigation Techniques for Grid-connected Renewable Energy (in collaboration with Prof. Chul-Hwan Kim, Sungkyunkwan University, Korea)
- Fault Detection and Classification for Smart Grids with Islanded Capability (in collaboration with Prof. Wei Lee Woon, CIS program, Masdar Institute)
Selected Journal Publications
- H. Zeineldin, E. El-Saadany, and M. Salama, “Impact of DG Interface Control on Islanding Detection and Nondetective Zones”, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Volume 21, Issue 3, pp.1515 – 1523, July 2006.
- H. H. Zeineldin , "A Q-f Droop Curve for Facilitating Islanding Detection of Inverter-Based Distributed Generation,", IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol.24, no.3, pp.665-673, March 2009.
- H. Zeineldin, and J. Kirtley, A Simple Technique for Islanding Detection with Negligible Non-Detection Zone, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 24, pp.779-778, April 2009.
- H. Zeineldin, and J. Kirtley, Performance of the OVP/UVP and OFP/UFP method with Voltage and Frequency Dependent Loads, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 24, pp.772-778, April 2009.
- H. H. Zeineldin, and S. Kennedy, “Sandia Frequency Shift Parameter Selection to Eliminate Non-detection Zones”, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 24, Issue 1, pp. 486-487, Jan. 2009.
- A. Alaboudy, H. Zeineldin, "Islanding Detection for Inverter-Based DG Coupled With Frequency-Dependent Static Loads", IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol.26, no.2, pp.1053-1063, April 2010.
- H. H. Zeineldin, M. M. A. Salama, “Impact of Load Frequency Dependence on the NDZ and Performance of the SFS Islanding Detection Method," IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, pp. 139-146, Jan. 2011.
- H. Zeineldin, E. El-Saadany, and M. Salama, A. Kasem and W. Woon “Optimal Sizing of Thyristor Controlled Impedance for Smart Grids with Multiple Configurations”, IEEE Transactions on Smart grids, pp. 528-537, Sept. 2011.
- W.K.A. Najy, H.H. Zeineldin, A.H.K. Alaboudy, Wei Lee Woon “A Bayesian Passive Islanding Detection Method for Inverter-Based Distributed Generation Using ESPRIT,", IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol.26, no.4, pp.2687-2696, Oct. 2011.
- Y. Mahmoud, W. Xiao, H. Zeineldin, "A Simple Approach to Modeling and Simulation of Photovoltaic Modules,", IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy , vol.3, no.1, pp.185-186, Jan. 2012.
- Y. A. R. I. Mohamed, H. Zeineldin, M. M. A. Salama, R. R. Seethapathy, "Seamless Formation and Robust Control of Distributed Generation Microgrids via Direct Voltage Control and Optimized Dynamic Power Sharing,", IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol.27, no.3, pp.1283-1294, March 2012.
- Y.A. Mahmoud, Weidong Xiao, H. H. Zeineldin,"A Parameterization Approach for Enhancing PV Model Accuracy," Industrial Electronics, IEEE Transactions on , vol.60, no.12, pp.5708,5716, Dec. 2013
- A. Alaboudy, H. Zeineldin, J. Kirtley, "Microgrid Stability Characterization Subsequent to Fault-Triggered Islanding Incidents,", IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol.27, no.2, pp.658-669, April 2012.
- S. Conti, R. Nicolosi, S. Rizzo, H. Zeineldin, "Optimal Dispatching of Distributed Generators and Storage Systems for MV Islanded Micro-Grids", IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 1243-1251, July 2012.
- W. Najy, H. Zeineldin, W. Woon "Optimal Protection Coordination for Microgrids with Grid-Connected and Islanded Capability," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol.60, no.4, pp.1668-1677, April 2013.
- R. Pandi, H. Zeineldin and W. Xiao, "Determining Optimal Location and Size of Distributed Generation Resources Considering Harmonic and Protection Coordination Limits" , IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol.28, no.2, pp.1245,1254, May 2013.
- Zeineldin, H. H., Y. A. –R. I. Mohamed, V. Khadkikar, and R. Pandi, "A Protection Coordination Index for Evaluating Distributed Generation Impacts on Protection for Meshed Distribution Systems", IEEE Transactions on Smart grids, vol.4, no.3, pp.1523,1532, Sept. 2013.
- Alaraifi, S., M. Elmourci, and H. Zeineldin, "Optimal Allocation of HTS-FCL for Power System Security and Stability Enhancement", IEEE Transaction on Power Systems, vol.28, no.4, pp.4701,4711, Nov. 2013.
- P. Conja, V. Khadkikar, and H. Zeineldin “A Non-Iterative Optimized Algorithm for Shunt Active Power Filter under Distorted and Unbalanced Supply Voltages”, IEEE Transactions on industrial electronics, vol.60, no.12, pp.5376-5390, Dec. 2013.
- E. Casagrande, W. Woon, H. Zeineldin, D. Svetinovic, “A Differential Sequence Component Protection Scheme for Microgrids with Inverter-based Distributed Generators”, IEEE Transaction on Smart Grids, vol.5, no.1, pp.29,37, Jan. 2014.
- S. Al Kaabi, H. H. Zeineldin and V. Khadkikar, “Planning Active Distribution Networks Considering Multi-DG Configurations”, accepted for publication in IEEE Transaction on Power Systems, to appear in 2014.
- M. Elmourci, H. H. Zeineldin, J. Kirtly, and K. Alobeidli, “A Dynamic Master/Slave Reactive Power Management Scheme for Smart Grids with Distributed Generation”, accepted for publication in the IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, to appear in 2014
- O. Faqhruldin, E. El-Saadany, and H. H. Zeineldin, “A Universal Islanding Detection Technique for Distributed Generation Using Pattern Recognition”, accepted for publication in the IEEE Transactions on Smart Grids, to appear in 2014.
- F. Mandayipurath, H. H. Zeineldin, V. Khadkikar, S. Kennedy and R. Kumar, “Demand Response Mismatch (DRM): Concept, Impact Analysis and Solution”, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grids, to appear in 2014.
- P. Kanjiya, V. Khadkikar and H. H. Zeineldin, “Optimal Control of Shunt APF to Meet IEEE Std. 519 Current Harmonics Constraints under Non-ideal Supply Condition”, accepted for publication in the IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 2014.
- M. Al- Hosani, Z. Qu and H. Zeineldin, “Development of Dynamic Estimators for Islanding Detection of Inverter-Based DG”, accepted for publication in IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, 2014.
- K. Saleh, H. Zeineldin. A. Al-Hinai, and E. El-Saadany, “Optimal Coordination of Directional Overcurrent Relays Using a New Time-Current-Voltage Characteristic”, accepted for publication in IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, 2014.
- H. H. Zeineldin, H. M. Sharaf, D. K. Ibrahim, and E. AbouEl-Zahab, "Optimal Protection Coordination for Meshed Distribution Systems With DG Using Dual Setting Directional Over-Current Relays,", accepted for publication in IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 2014
- M. Al Hosani, Z. Qu, and H. Zeineldin, "A Transient Stiffness Measure for Islanding Detection of Multi-DG Systems,", accepted for publication in IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, 2014.
- A. Sant, V. Khadkikar, W. Xiao and H. H. Zeineldin, “A Novel Four Axes Vector-Controlled Dual-Rotor PMSM for Plug-in Electric Vehicles”, accepted for publication in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 2014.