Assistant Professor - Microsystems Engineering
Phone number: 510-529-9142
Firas Sammoura is currently an Assistant Professor at the Microsystems Division of Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, Abu Dhabi. Firas Sammoura received his B.E. in mechanical engineering from the American University of Beirut in June 2001 with high distinction. From 2001 until 2006, he was a graduate student researcher at the University of California at Berkeley. In May 2006, he earned his Ph.D. in the field of Micro-Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS).
His dissertation focused on building plastic millimeter-wave systems for radar applications at 95GHz. Prior to joining Masdar Institute, Dr. Sammoura was a visiting scientist in the MI/MIT cooperative program at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology where he started a new research program in the field of piezoelectric micromachined ultrasonic trasducers (pMUTs) in collaboration with Prof. Sang-Gook Kim from the mechanical engineering department. From January 2007 until January 2011, he was senior device characterization engineer in the Advanced Development Group at the MEMS/Sensors division of Analog Devices in Wilmington, MA.
He also worked as a student researcher with Hitachi Global Storage Technologies at the IBM Almaden Research Center from March 2004 until May 2006 where he did proprietary research in MEMS applications for the hard drive disk industry. Dr. Sammoura won the Spot Award for solving the stiction problem that plagued consumer inertial MEMS accelerometers. He has several pending and issued patents in the field of microwave engineering and MEMS fabrication, design, and characterization.
- MIC 640: Design and Fabrication of Microelectromechanical Systems
- MIC 541: Materials and Processes for Microelectromechanical Devices and Systems
Advisor to Current Masdar Institute Students
- Shaikha Ahmed Saeed Rashid Al Shehhi
- Maitha Mohamed Abdulla Eissa Mahmoud
- Nawal Yousif Ali Aqab
- MEMS (Microelectromechanical Systems)
- Design and Fabrication of microsensors and microsystems
- Piezoelectric and Capacitive Micromachined Ultrasonic Transducers
- CMOS/MEMS Integration
- Renewable Energy and Storage Systems
- Microwave Engineering
1. Firas Sammoura, Ki Bang Lee, Liwei Lin, ”Water-activated disposable and long shelf life microbatteries,” Sensors & Actuators A-Physical, vol.A111, no.1, 1 March 2004, pp.79-86.
- Firas Sammoura and Liwei Lin, "Micromachined W-Band Polymeric Tunable Iris Filter," Microsystem Technologies Journal, Vol. 17, pp. 411-416, 2011.
- Firas Sammoura, Mehmet Hancer, and Ken Yang, “The Effect of Surface Chemistry on MEMS Stiction in an Ultralow-Humidity Environment,” Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 522-526, April 2001.
- Firas Sammoura and Sang-Gook Kim, “Theoretical Modeling and Equivalent Electric Circuit of a Bimorph Piezoelectric Micromachined Ultrasonic Transducer,” IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, pp. 990-998, vol. 59, no. 5, May 2012.