Associate Professor - Water and Environmental Engineering
Phone number : +971 2 810 9114
Laboratory Website: www.b2el.com
Dr. Ahmad holds undergraduate degrees in Chemistry and Chemical Engineering from the University of Texas at Austin, and a PhD in Environmental Engineering from Rice University. Prior to joining Masdar Institute, Dr. Ahmad taught at the University of Houston and Rice University, and held the position of Sr. Environmental Engineer at the environmental risk management firm, GSI Environmental, in Houston, USA. He is a licensed Professional Chemical and Environmental Engineer in the State of Texas, USA. As Principal Investigator of several federal research grants in the US, Dr. Ahmad has led multi-disciplinary and multi-institutional teams to address environmental contamination and cleanup problems in the US.
- Contaminants in the Environment: Fate and Transport
- Groundwater Hydrology
- Applied Environmental Chemistry and Biotechnology
- Remediation Engineering
Advisor to current Masdar Institute students
- Tatsiana Bandaruk
- Yamrot Mulugeta Amha
- Jubilee Titobioluwa Adeoye
- Qammer Zaib (PhD)
Advisor to former Masdar Institute students:
- Fate and transport of contaminants in the natural environment
- Elucidation of transformation pathways during treatment of contaminated environmental media (water, soil, air)
- Integrated biological processes for waste treatment, resource recovery, and low-temperature energy generation
- Environmental monitoring and assessment: Methodology, techniques, and forensics
- Environmental risk assessment and risk-based cleanup
- Use of renewable materials for water treatment and energy generation
- Novel Microbial Fuel Cells and their Applications
- Fate of Anionic Contamination in Natural and Engineered Systems
- Environmental Impact of Biofuels
- Water Reuse in Abu Dhabi
- Bio-catalyzed Mineralization of Dolomite
Invited Chapters in Edited Books
- Ahmad, F., J. B. Hughes, and G. N. Bennett. “Biodegradation of Hazardous Materials by Clostridia”, In: Handbook on Clostridia, P. Durre (Ed.), Taylor & Francis/CRC Press, Boca Raton, 2005.
- Ahmad, F. and J. B. Hughes. “Anaerobic Transformation of TNT by Clostridium”, In: Biodegradation of Nitroaromatic Compounds and Explosives, J. C. Spain, J. B. Hughes, and H. J. Knackmuss (Eds.), Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton, 2000.
Publications in Peer-Reviewed Journals
- Ahmad F., M.N. Atiyeh, B. Pereira, G.N. Stephanopoulos. “Cellulosic microbial fuel cells: Performance and challenges”, Biomass and Bioenergy, in review, 2012.
- Mezher, N., F. Ahmad, O.D. Aina, W.E. Rathburn, and H. Wang. “A comparative evaluation of risk to human health from spills of renewable bio-derived and conventional jet fuels”, Environmental Science & Technology, in review, 2012.
- Farhat, A., F. Ahmad, and H. Arafat. “Analytical techniques for boron quantification supporting desalination processes: A Review”, Desalination, in press, 2012.
- Farhat, A., A. Dooley, and F. Ahmad. "Nitrite-to-nitrate oxidation within IC-ESI-MS/MS”, J. Mass Spectrometry, Vol. 46, Issues 7, pp. 720-724, 2011.
- Ahmad, F., D. T. Adamson, and S. K. Farhat. "Treatment of an explosive plume in groundwater using an organic mulch biowall”, Remediation Journal, Vol. 20, Issue 1, pp. 21-40, Winter 2009.
- Ahmad, F., T. M. McGuire, R. S. Lee, and E. Becvar. "Considerations for the design of organic mulch biowalls”, Remediation Journal, Vol. 18, Issue 1, pp. 59-72, Winter 2007.
- Ahmad, F. “Nitrogen isotopes”, Environmental Science and Technology, Vol. 41, No. 8, p. 1502, April 2007.
- Ahmad, F., S. P. Schnitker, and C. J. Newell. "Remediation of RDX- and HMX-contaminated groundwater using organic mulch permeable reactive barriers”, Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, Vol. 90, Issues 1-2, pp. 1-20, 2007.
- McHugh, T. E., J. A. Connor, and F. Ahmad. "Discussion of evaluation of the Johnson and Ettinger model for prediction of indoor air quality”, Ground Water Monitoring & Remediation, Vol. 24, pp. 139-140, 2004.
- McHugh, T. E., J. A. Connor, and F. Ahmad. "An empirical analysis of the groundwater-to-indoor-air exposure pathway: The role of background concentrations in indoor air”, Environmental Forensics, Vol. 5, pp. 33-44, March 2004.
- Ahmad, F. and J. B. Hughes. "Reactivity of partially reduced arylhydroxylamine and nitrosoarene metabolites of 2,4,6-trinitrotoluene (TNT) toward biomass and humic acids”, Environmental Science and Technology, Vol. 36, No. 20, pp4370-4381, October 2002.
- Roberts, D. J., S. Pendharkar, and F. Ahmad. "Effects of TNT and Its metabolites on anaerobic TNT degradation”, Journal of Environmental Engineering, Vol. 124, Issue No. 7, July 1998.
- Roberts, D. J., F. Ahmad, and S. Pendharkar. "Optimization of an aerobic polishing stage to complete the anaerobic treatment of munitions-contaminated soils”, Environmental Science and Technology, Vol. 30, No. 6, pp. 2021-2026, June 1996.
- Ahmad, F. and D. J. Roberts. "Use of narrow-bore High Performance Liquid Chromatography - Diode Array Detection (HPLC-DAD) for the analysis of intermediates of the biological degradation of 2,4,6-trinitrotoluene", Journal of Chromatography A, Vol. 693, pp. 167-175, February 1995.
Publications in Refereed Conference Proceedings
- Farhat, A., M.N. Atiyeh, M. Mieseler, J.R. Bastidas-Oyanedel, F. Ahmad. 2011. “Biocathodic perchlorate reduction and chlorine isotope fractionation”. The 2011 International Conference on Water, Energy and the Environment, American University of Sharjah, Sharjah, United Arab Emirates.
- Connor, J. A., F. Ahmad, K. C. Hamel, R. J. Pokluda, and K. Ravishankar. "Practical guidelines for the roadspreading of exploration and production (E&P) wastes”, The 14th International Petroleum Environmental Conference (IPEC), Houston, Texas, November 6-9, 2007.
- Connor, J. A., F. Ahmad, and T. E. McHugh. "Evaluation of vapor intrusion from a subsurface diesel plume using multiple lines of evidence”, Proceedings of the 23rd Petroleum Hydrocarbons and Organic Chemicals in Ground Water: Prevention, Assessment, and Remediation Conference, Houston, Texas, November 6-7, 2006.
- Connor, J. A., F. Ahmad, and R. L. Bowers. "Technical evaluation of Natural Resource Damage Assessment (NRDA) claims for groundwater resources”, Proceedings of the 2005 NGWA Ground Water and Environmental Law Conference, Baltimore, Maryland, July 21-22, 2005.
- McHugh, T. E., J. A. Connor, F. Ahmad, and C. J. Newell. "A groundwater flux model for groundwater-to-indoor-air vapor intrusion”, Proceedings of the Seventh International In Situ and On-Site Bioremediation Symposium, Orlando, Florida, June 2003, published by Battelle Press, Columbus, Ohio.