Department of Engineering Systems and Management
Engineering Systems & Management - Professor of Practice
Phone Number: +971-2-8109149
Dr Afshari has 25 years of experience in the energy efficiency of buildings and demand-side management (DSM). Since 2011, he has been a Professor of Practice at Masdar Institute of Science and Technology. His current research interests include urban energy modeling, load forecasting, fault detection and diagnosis, decision support for DSM, and renewable energies. He teaches graduate-level courses on the topics of Heat Transfer in Buildings, Statistics, and Time Series Forecasting.
Prior to Dr. Afshari's current role, for a period spanning close to four years, he was head of Masdar City’s Energy Department. Before joining Masdar, he worked for International Energy Group (UAE, 2 years), University of Québec (Canada, 4 years), Silicon Energy (USA, 4 years), Raab Karcher Energy Services (Germany, 3 years) and Schlumberger Research (France, 5 years).
Dr. Afshari holds an Engineering Diploma in Energy Engineering from INSA (France), an MSc in Control & Signal Processing and a PhD in Physics from the University of Paris XI (France) as well as an MBA from INSEAD (France). He has three registered patents and more than 50 conference/journal papers.
- Urban energy modeling (collaboration with MIT)
- Decision support tools for DSM (sponsored by the Executive Affairs Authority of Abu Dhabi)
- Fault detection of diagnosis of AC equipment (sponsored by the Executive Affairs Authority of Abu Dhabi)
- Predictive control of district cooling (collaboration with EU-H2020 INDIGO and IEA Annex 60)
- Geothermal cooling (sponsored by Masdar City)
- A. AFSHARI, L. A. FRIEDRICH (2016), A proposal to introduce tradable energy savings certificates in the emirate of Abu Dhabi, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 55, 1342–1351.
- M. MARTIN, A. AFSHARI, P.R. ARMSTRONG, L.K. NORFORD (2016), A new validation protocol for an urban microclimate model based on temperature measurements in a Central European city, Energy and Buildings, Vol. 114, 38–53.
- A. AFSHARI, L. A. FRIEDRICH (2015), Time-series modeling and prediction of weather-driven system-level electrical load – Case of Abu Dhabi, Journal of Applied Mathematics & Bioinformatics, Vol. 5, 49-67.
- M. MARTIN, A. AFSHARI, P.R. ARMSTRONG, L.K. NORFORD (2015), Estimation of urban temperature and humidity using a lumped parameter model coupled with an EnergyPlus model, Energy and Buildings, Vol. 96, 221-235.
- T. MULUMBA, A. AFSHARI, K. YAN, W. SHEN, L.K. NORFORD (2015), Robust model-based fault diagnosis for air handling units, Energy and Buildings, Vol. 86, 698-707.
- L. FRIEDRICH, P.R. ARMSTRONG, A. AFSHARI (2014), Mid-term forecasting of urban electricity load to isolate air-conditioning impact, Energy and Buildings, Vol. 80, 72-80.
- A. AFSHARI, C. NIKOLOPOULOU, M. MARTIN (2014), Life-Cycle Analysis of Building Retrofits at the Urban Scale – A Case Study in United Arab Emirates, Sustainability, Vol. 6, 453-473.
- M. MOKHTAR, M. ALI, S. BRAÜNIGER, A. AFSHARI, S. SGOURIDIS, P. ARMSTRONG, M. CHIESA (2010), Systematic comprehensive techno-economic assessment of solar cooling technologies using location-specific climate data, Applied Energy, Vol. 87, 3766-3778.
- C. BENARD, A. AFSHARI (1992), Inverse Stefan problem: Tracking of the interface position from measurements on the solid phase, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol. 35, 835-851.
- US Patent US5621638: Method and apparatus for optimum regulation of the inside of premises.
- European Patent EP0688085B1: Temperature control system with tariff change optimisation.
- US Patent US6577692: System and method for forecasting energy usage.