- Why Masdar Institute
- Executive Council
- Board of Trustees
- Vision, Mission & Objectives
- Facts and Achievements
- MIT Partnership
- Contact Us
- Printed Material
Key Facts and Achievements
- Sustainable campus powered entirely by renewable energy.
- State-of-the-art research facilities and hi-tech equipment.
- Located in Masdar City, Abu Dhabi, first sustainable urban development in the region.
Faculty and Students
- International faculty and student body.
- 96 faculty members from over 30 countries; 19% UAE nationals.
- 432 students from over 60 countries; 47% female.
- UAE nationals constitute 43% of the total student population.
- Vibrant and rich student life, multi-cultural environment; more than 15 student clubs.
- First elite group of master’s students graduated in June 2011.
- First PhD students graduated in May 2015.
- 120 MSc and PhD graduates from 44 countries in the Class of 2016; 45% female.
- Over 550 graduates since inception.
- 9 accredited master’s degree programs.
- Interdisciplinary PhD program.
- All programs are based on the US graduate education model.
- A full scholarship is offered to all admitted students.
- Five additional full scholarships provided for eligible applicants in collaboration with our partners.
- MIT contributes to development of degree programs and curriculum.
- Joint research projects by MIT and MI faculty; one-to-one and flagship projects.
- MIT faculty serve on PhD committees at Masdar Institute.
- Masdar Institute PhD students may spend one semester at MIT prior to graduation.
- Joint MI-MIT innovation program to support research with potential commercial impact.
- Three unique outreach programs targeting primarily UAE national students and young professionals:
- Young Future Energy Leaders
Research and Innovation Achievements
- Achieved 10 US patents, 70+ US filed patent applications, and 120+ invention disclosures, firmly establishing the Institute’s place as a leader in intellectual capital development in the UAE.
- Published a book on 3D Stacked Chips in Springer, one of the leading international publishers. The book covers recent cutting-edge research on 3D integration conducted by the Technical University of Dresden, Germany in collaboration with Masdar Institute.
- Published 1000+ articles in peer-reviewed journals, 600+ conference papers, 23 book chapters and 16 books
- Ranked in 14th place among the top 20 universities in the 2016 Best Arab Region Universities Rankings published annually by the US News and World Report, featuring more than 120 universities in 18 countries, ranked based on their academic research performance and reputations.
- Established the “Catalyst” in collaboration with Masdar and BP to develop new ways for accelerating sustainable technology innovation.
- Won the Middle East Solar Industry Association’s “Technology of The Year” award and the “Excellence in GIS Implementation” award for Masdar Institute’s UAE Solar Atlas project.
- Launched the Seawater Energy and Agriculture System’s (SEAS) pilot project in collaboration with Boeing, Etihad Airways, SAFRAN, GE and TAKREER to develop sustainable food and bioenergy for the UAE aviation industry.
- Launched the Masdar Institute Solar Platform to serve as a concentrating solar power (CSP) research facility to advance innovative and cutting-edge CSP technologies and play a central role in the region’s first fully integrated solar research center, the Masdar Solar Hub.
Student and Faculty Innovations
- Mohammed Al Shehhi, a Master’s student in Electrical Power Engineering won the Innovator UAE 2016 award in the Sustainability and Life Sciences category for his Smart Solar-powered Ventilation System for vehicles, at the INNOVATOR Show 2016 organized by the Abu Dhabi Education Council (ADEC) and the Abu Dhabi Technology Development Committee (TDC).
- Ahmed Al Harethi, a PhD student in Water and Environmental Engineering and Dr. Faisal Al Marzooqi, PhD graduate and current Assistant Professor in Chemical and Environmental Engineering were both selected as members of the Emirates Scientists’ Council that has been created recently to provide scientific advice to decision-makers, promote research and innovation in science and technology, and create mechanisms to boost cooperation and knowledge transfer between public and private sector academic and research institutions.
- Dr. Ibraheem Almansouri, Assistant Professor of Microsystems Engineering at Masdar Institute, won the Emirates Energy Award for his novel research on advanced solar cells technology. His project was selected out of 14 entries for the ‘Young Professional Energy’ category, which awards achievements relevant to energy management issues demonstrated by young professionals of less than 35 years of age.
- Dr. Linda Zou, Masdar Institute Professor of Chemical and Environmental Engineering, was awarded the first edition of the UAE Rain Enhancement Program grant worth US$5 million, launched by the UAE Ministry of Presidential Affairs in collaboration with the UAE National Centre of Meteorology and Seismology (NCMS), for her leading research on using nanotechnology to develop novel cloud seeding materials and accelerate water condensation.
- Six Masdar Institute faculty won the ADEC Award for Research Excellence (A2RE) 2015 for the quality, originality and feasibility of their research projects and their relevance to strategic sectors in the UAE.
- Ahmed Al Harethi, a PhD student in Water and Environmental Engineering, became the first UAE national to invent a mechanism for the generation of biofuels, pharmaceuticals and fodder using genetic modification of algae that grows in the Abu Dhabi desert.
- Al Harethi also won the Medal of Top Emiratis in 2014, for his pioneering invention.
- Aaesha Al Nuaimi, a PhD student in Microsystems, became the first UAE national to fabricate thin film crystalline Si-solar cells in the Masdar Institute cleanroom.
- Mejd Al Sari, a UAE national MSc in Microsystems graduate, fabricated the first polymer-based Organic Photovoltaic solar cell (OPV) in the UAE.
- Dr. Faisal Al Marzooqi, a Masdar Institute PhD graduate and current assistant professor, became the first UAE national to disclose an invention for a novel technology to enhance desalination techniques using nanotechnology during his Doctorate studies at Masdar Institute.
- Dr. Al Marzooqi also won the UAE Pioneers Award 2015 for inventing a novel technology to enhance desalination using nanotechnology.
- PhD student, Muhammad Awais Bin Altaf, won a Predoctoral Achievement Award for 2015-16 at the IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference held in Feb. 2015 in San Francisco, CA, USA.
- PhD student, Nazek El Atab, has been awarded the 2015 L’Oreal-UNESCO for Women in Science Middle East Fellowship for her potential to promote science among young Arab women.
- PhD student Sabina Abdul Hadi won the Best Poster Award at the 42nd IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference held in June 14-19, 2015 in New Orleans, LA.
- PhD student Wala Saadeh won the best paper award at the International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS 2015) in Lisbon, Portugal.